Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 01:59   #31

Boat: 1990 Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Re: Gel coat cracking, hull oxidized question

Oh yea - as many others have mentioned in this thread - the whole "yard won't allow inspection w/o broker present" is a very large truck load of prime choice BS. Something very fishy is going on (and it's a sailboat!). As I believe Ann stated: Run from this boat as fast as you can!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
George Da Porge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 18:23   #32

Here's a link to the Morgan that was for sale: 1978 Morgan Out Island 41'3" Ketch Rig Beam 13'10" Draft 4'2" No Reserve | eBay

The boat was in Massachusetts at a inland yard with really high storage fees. It looks like the owner purchased the boat a couple of months prior (on EBAY) from Boat Angel Ministries for about $8500.00, did nothing to aside from purchasing a new engine and generator, then not installing them, then got out from underneath it.

I appreciate all of the info from everyone, especially the stories about the restoration nightmares, the hidden things that may make a restoration project like this impossible. I will definitely follow up with the nightmare restoration threads, that's why I'm creeping around these forums, to learn as much as I can from you guys with the experience.

I followed up with the yard and as it turned out, the information posted on the Auction was wrong. Someone in authority at the yard told me it would be possible for me inspect the boat in person. Still, it's grew to hear from you guys how to handle the evaluation process for the next time.
photousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 19:25   #33

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

It's kinda like you can view a house without the broker present.
Keeps things from getting broken, or stolen.
That seems ok.
Long as you can survey it prior to purchase, with inspection contingency.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:31   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

A little late to the feedback game but oxidation is a minor, easily remedied thing. Gelcoat cracks could be cosmetic (crazing) or indicative of underlying fiberglass substrate failure, requiring a major repair depending upon why it failed. If it's the latter, you should be able to press hard on the area and try to detect any movement, or even visually see flexing. Gelcoat over time may craze (cosmetic surface cracks) due to various working forces on the hull, deck, component (wherever it may be). Sometimes the de molding process itself (pull the newly cured fiberglass part from its mold) will cause the crazing depending upon the design and quality control of the manufacturer. Other situations may be due to gelcoat applied too thick during manufacturing. Remember Gelcoat is brittle, so 15 to 20 mil thickness is the target when it's sprayed into the mold. More than that and it's subject to crazing. Still most likely a cosmetic issue though.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull