Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2004, 04:14   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
GE sealants

Has anyone tried GE window and hatch sealant?
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Firstly no.
My question is, is "GE" a brand name or an abreveation for some long winded word?
Something I have come across, if uyou guy's have Bostick available, they have a new Adhesive sealant that is similar to Sikaflex. Heh, thats if you guy's have that as well, you will know what I am on about. The bostick stuff is much cheaper here and really good stuff. I use it to Seal, Bed and glue down just about everything on the boat. It seems to adhere to Alloy really well and I use it to make a insulative seal between Alloy and SST when fixing to.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:24   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
GE stands for General Electric. They started out her making electric motors and have now progressed into a verity of products and services, even life insurance.

And yeah! we do have Silkaflex as well as Life-Calk and 3M. I think 3m being the most popular. But Bostik is most commonly used in the automotive industry. Their most popular product here is never-seez but the adhesives are hard to find.

As for window (and teak) sealants, I found that Life-Calk is the best and 3M for deck and thruhull fittings. ALL of which need to be resealed over time. GE has been mostly for household use........................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
In the Boaters World catalog there are new GE sealants for marine use. The reason I would like the GE is that they have window and hatch in black and brown.
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 21:52   #5

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
Interesting thing about life and boaters..

Sailors seem to just HATE silicon seal (RTV). Every sailor I know tells me that you can use many things to bed your stuff but NEVER use silicon seal.

That's fine and dandy...

But in the Hot Rod Jetboat world.. EVERYONE uses ONLY silicon seal to seal the jetpump to its mounting ring and seal that to the hull. Pour the horse power to them, work and flex the hull. They will sometimes last 20+ years without leaking.

How can something be so hated by one group when another group just loves it for nearly the same use?

-jim lee
Old 07-11-2004, 21:54   #6

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
Interesting thing about life and boaters..

Sailors seem to just HATE silicon seal (RTV). Every sailor I know tells me that you can use many things to bed your stuff but NEVER use silicon seal.

That's fine and dandy...

But in the Hot Rod Jetboat world.. Evryone uses ONLY silicn seal to seal the jetpump to its mounting ring and seal that to the hull. Pour the horse power to them, work and flex the hull. They will sometimes last 20+ years without leaking.

How can something be so hated by one group when another group just loves it for nearly the same use?

-jim lee
Old 07-11-2004, 23:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Because Jet boaters don't intentionaly go out of site of land
Silicon Seal is OK as a gasket. It withstands heat, flex, oils etc, but it is poor at adhearing to some materials and is nowhere near as strrong as some of these new fandangled "co-polymer adhesive sealants" that stick better than the brown smelly stuff to a blanket.
I worked in a shop years back where we sold Sikaflex and we had a bet going in the shop. We had two 1"x1" pieces of aluminuim stuck together with the stuff and the bet was if anyone could pull the two pieces apart, we would give them a free tube of the stuff. I had customers try with grips and a vice and all sorts and no one ever achieved it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote