Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2022, 11:44   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
Gasket for portholes

I have these cast bronze portholes on my 1976 sailboat. They are leaky as a sieve. I want to replace the gasket and I need some pointers on how to go about doing that. I am overseas but have good access to a gasket maker.

Edit: What kind of material to use for gaskets? Should I cut a strip and route it around the recess, leaving the two ends on top of the porthole? Should I superglue into place or polyurethane?

Pleasee below photos! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	044C6C1D-21BE-4E57-9A60-8D57FD3883F0.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	266355   Click image for larger version

Name:	49178469-442A-4861-97B9-F9D8787ABE1D.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	266356  

hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 13:31   #2

Boat: twinkeels, 9m
Re: Gasket for portholes

you have to disassemble the seal (or a piece) to have the model, I would think of a round neoprene rubber cord ...
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 04:57   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Why not use butyl tape?

"Butyl tape really is an all-rounder tape! It is perfect for use in the marine industry because of its strength, waterproof seal and compatibility with boat surfaces. Use butyl tape for boat hatches, portlights, and deck fittings.14 June 2022

https://evobuild.com.au/what-is-buty...-need-to-know/
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 09:03   #4

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

I LOVE butyl tape and use it on everything!! But this time s a gasket on a porthole that needs to open and close (I donít seal it shut).

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Why not use butyl tape?

"Butyl tape really is an all-rounder tape! It is perfect for use in the marine industry because of its strength, waterproof seal and compatibility with boat surfaces. Use butyl tape for boat hatches, portlights, and deck fittings.14 June 2022

hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 09:06   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Why not use butyl tape?
I believe the OP is talking about the gasket, not bedding the frame to the boat.
Anyway, yes, as referenced already, some rubber cord with joint at the top.
It can be installed with contact cement.
You must be careful to not put any stretch on the cord as you install it.
Old 27-10-2022, 09:21   #6

I purchased EDPM hollow round rubber gaskets from McMaster Carr here in the states. They had a 3M adhesive backing on them. Installed them in similar ports on my boat in 2016 and are in perfect condition still. Neoprene seems like its very similar to EDPM. Wish i had more ifo on what that 3M tape coating was but it is an excellent adhesive.

A round, hollow foam rubber tubing is perfect. It allows for perfect compression/ seal. Solid roud might be too hard to compress.

I cut a piece about 6" longer than i needed and started applying it from the top center. Worked my way around the window and brought the other end back up to the top center. I compressed it slightly, marked it and then cut it to length with a brand new razor. It fit perfect and the two ends meet together leak free.

Urethane glue has a good reputation for adhering these sorts of materials. That would be my choice if i had to use an applied adhesive but others may have a better suggestion.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 10:32   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

They still sell the square gasket material for your ports, just need to find them where you are located.

If you can't find them surprisingly this round foam rope (used as a pre-caulk gap filler) works well. They make different sizes so measure your channel width and purchase appropriately. Had used this on a previous boat and worked so well never bothered to purchase the square ones. Just cut to fit around the channel and leave the seam to the top middle (no glue needed)
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 05:51   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Why not use butyl tape?

for the gaskets on the ports? that would be a bad messy idea. That's a sticky mess any time you open the port in the summer....

Something like this is a much better idea

https://www.mcmaster.com/gasket-mate...e-mount-seals/
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 06:34   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

TPU is a great sealing surface. Basically running shoe sole. The modern version of rubber
If it’s a cast gasket you can have it reproduced by any local 3D printing nut who has TPU knowledge.
I just made two simple tapered cones for an old table saw with the same density and memory the original rubber once did.
TPU can be purchased in 95,90,,85. 85 is like human skin and 95 at 100% density is like winter tire rubber.
There are self adhesive weather strips, it’s the seam where the problem is. Also neoprene fails under compression, TPU doesn’t. TPU is resistant to fuel chemicals UV. I make instrument covers for boats with 90 white rather than the brittle plastic which comes with many.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket