Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2014, 15:25   #1

Galley Benchtop Material replacement

What are the preferred options for a galley bench top material in a lagoon 400? I'm thinking perhaps a material other than wood which wouldn't have the delaminating problem

Does anyone have a ballpark cost to replace a galley bench top in a lagoon 400?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	92492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	92493  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	92494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0806.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	92495  

Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 15:44   #2

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Galley Benchtop Material replacement

Might consider a quartz material in 2 cm (3/4") thickness. Heavier than wood with laminate for sure, but very durable.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 16:07   #3

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

If you're handy consider taking careful measurements and go to a couple of big box stores like Home Depot and get prices for their solid surface countertops like "Corian" or similar.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 16:14   #4

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

It's probably inappropriate for a cat but we installed granite counter tops in our galley almost 15 years ago and they still look like new.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 16:40   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
If you're handy consider taking careful measurements and go to a couple of big box stores like Home Depot and get prices for their solid surface countertops like "Corian" or similar.
That's probably the best compromise between cost weight and durability. Home centers usually have arrangements with contractors who will measure and install countertops. Estimates are free.
Old 28-11-2014, 17:17   #6

Thanks everyone.

So Corian would be a suitable material? The boat is a charter boat in a tropical area, plenty of sun and humidity.

That sounds like a good plan. I could contact a cabinet maker or kitchen installer to come out and do a quote using Corian, then once I was happy with a guy I could get him out to instal it.

I am an electrician, so pretty handy, but not as good as a cabinet maker for this sort of stuff. I could possibly assist him for the install and make sure things went smoothly on the boat.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 17:20   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Considering weight, cost and durablity, Corian is hard to beat
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 18:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
So Corian would be a suitable material? The boat is a charter boat in a tropical area, plenty of sun and humidity............
I would say so. It's better in many ways than laminate (Formica and such) which is glued to a plywood or pressboard substrate but less expensive and lighter than granite or other stone products.

Corian (actually a brand name) can be sanded if damaged by knives or such and brought back to like new condition.

A shop that does kitchen and bathroom counters with this product will make short work of it. Get prices from a couple different vendors.
Old 29-11-2014, 07:59   #9

On this topic: we are getting ready to do the counter tops as well but were thinking 3/4 with a teak/holly top and a zillion coats of varnish. It is in a cat and trying to keep wieght down as we have the galley and the work area in the opposite amas, Also I can do this installation myself.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 08:22   #10

I work for a company that does Corian fabrication. It's a great material. I am rebuilding my galley and will be using it myself. However, in my opinion it is rather heavy having a density of about 1.7 grams per cm3. Different colors are available in different thicknesses. 1/2" material is commonly used for typical residential applications but if I were using it on a multihull I would opt for the 1/4" thick material to save on both weight and cost.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 08:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I work for a company that does Corian work. It's a great material. I am rebuilding my galley and will be using it myself. However, in my option it is rather heavy having a density of about 1.7 grams per cm3. Different colors are available in different thicknesses. 1/2" material is commonly used for typical residential applications but if I were using it on a multihull I would opt for the 1/4" thick material to save on both weight and cost.
No doubt you know that the edges can be built up to look like thicker material.
Old 29-11-2014, 08:47   #12

Yes, it can be built up or seamlessly joined using the color matched DuPont adhesive. We recently bid a retail project that called for a seamless 35' x 6' table top.

The base resin from which it is made is an acrylic type. It can can be cut and routed using carbide wood working tools and can also be thermoformed. DuPont produces Corian sinks that can be seamlessly joined with the counter tops, which is pretty sweet.

In an effort to provide some quality control Corian brand solid surface materials can only be purchased through a DuPont certified fabricator. However, LG produces a comparable material called HI-MACS that can be purchased by anybody.

Be advised, like any plastic it will expand and contract with changes in temperature and the design and fabrication of any counter top should reflect this.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 08:50   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

As previous mentioned Corian is probably your best bet weight and durability wise. It is not as durable as stone and requires periotic buffing but a good trade off on a boat.

If access is a problem it can be seamed flawlessly.

Just out of curiosity what yr. is the Lagoon and what was the under layement? It appears to be a composite not plywood.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 10:57   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

There are other brands of resin solid material that are lighter than Corian (Swanstone may be one?). There is even a ultralight version used in airplanes like this: PolyStone Creations.com - Leaders in the field of lightweight countertops.. There is also this stuff: Granite-Light.com - Lightweight Alternative to Granite Countertops, and other composites like it. Google around for alternatives.

Corian is very heavy - I estimate the 1/2" countertops, sinks and table in our boat added 400lbs. I wouldn't have added it if the boat didn't come that way.

In a catamaran, you may not get away with 1/4" material on horizontal surfaces if the area is large or in the wrong place or has inadequate backing. The boat will twist and flex some and can crack 1/4" depending on the above.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 11:49   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Mark--good post. Corian is heavy.

It baffles me why more multi-hull owners don't insist on lightweight honeycomb-core panels/counters. Perhaps a bit heavy for most multi-hulls, I have installed honeycomb-core granite counter tops in monohulls to 70'. It is considerably heavier than laminate covered plywood. But the look of real stone against real wood (and stainless) is incomparable.

On a multi-hull, where weight may be more critical, stone veneer counters are rather more practical for a vanity, for example, where a small counter may exist to primarily mount a sink, there remaining only a "border" of stone veneer surrounding the sink.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, men, enc