Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 02:45   #1

Boat: Ranger 33
Fumigation

HI All,

Does anyone know what is the average cost for fumigating a boat in Australia, primarily in Brisbane.

Cheers.
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 18:04   #2

Let me add to this

OK....the boat had to get fumigated, not a biggy. The process was to take 24hrs. According to the fumigation company the tarps moved overnight due to a bit of wind on the wharf....dirrrrrr...and the fumigant escaped. Now they have to fumigate again. Oh did I mention they have a monopoly on the wharf.

Now they are saying I am up for two fumigations.....tell me that's not right?
Old 26-12-2008, 18:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Oh did I mention they have a monopoly on the wharf.
One of those nasty jobs you never want to do but sure as anything it needs to be done right. There are darn few things worse at sea thanh what you are leaving behind.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 18:37   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
As a self employed person I can positively tell you thats not right...you paid for a job done its their responsibility to get it done...if you pulled the tarp different deal if mother nature pulled the tarps bad preperation on their part...I would have to eat it.
Things like that happened all the time when I had employees ..rarely happens now.

Please enlighten this northern climate sailor that dosent really know what your talking about...nasty critter infestation?...could you not bomb it yourself with off the shelf bombs and a few of your own tarps?

Asking out of ignorance.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 19:20   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
It would seem to me that they were responsible for securing the tarp unless you installed them. If they did they need to redo it on their dime. Just my opinion.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 21:08   #6

Bugs

Hi Stillraining,
It's a Ranger 33 and they have teak around the cockpit. Apparently quarantine inspectors found some tell tail signs of borers in the timber.

You have no choice in the matter I'm afraid and I'm not allowed on the wharf ...so an approved fumigator has to do it....

cheers

George
Old 26-12-2008, 21:09   #7

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
It would seem to me that they were responsible for securing the tarp unless you installed them. If they did they need to redo it on their dime. Just my opinion.

That's my thoughts too....we'll see when I get the bill..lol

Cheers

George
Old 26-12-2008, 21:25   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I had my boat done a few months ago. Because of high winds and leaks they had to do 3 x 24 hr gassing and on the 3rd try they doubled the amount of gas.

Contractor apologized for the delay and only charged for the single fumigation.

I paid him a bit extra for his professionalism.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 17:03   #9

Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I had my boat done a few months ago. Because of high winds and leaks they had to do 3 x 24 hr gassing and on the 3rd try they doubled the amount of gas.

Contractor apologized for the delay and only charged for the single fumigation.

I paid him a bit extra for his professionalism.
Can I ask what it cost?. I have been quoted AUD$1300 but I have a feeling it is going to be much more than that.

Regards,

George
Old 30-12-2008, 17:36   #10

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
The contractor doesn't have any relatives in the quarantine inspection biz? Just checking.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 18:43   #11
cruiser

Fumigation

If I run my two kerosene lamps without opening the vents enough, I can feel the skin on my forehead tightening. The lamps go dim, regardless of their being full of fuel. Turning the wicks up does nothing. There is no smoke.
Carbon monoxide!
If I suspected any kind of bugs or other unwelcome critters aboard, I'd simply light the lamps, seal the boat , put a warning note on the door, and leave for several hours or several days. Nothing in the boat would survive. Then I'd open her up , turn the blowers on , and leave her to vent for a while . Problem solved.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 20:24   #12

Boat: Hartley Tasman 27'3" Kaea (50/50 motor sailor) & Laurent Giles GK24 IOR 1/4 tonner
I hope they weren't fumigating with methyl bromide! That is the made fumigant for border crossing and in the case of logs, is often done under tarps.
Methyl bromide is a colourless, odorless gas, which has been linked to neurological disease. Post Nelson in New Zealand has had health problems with their staff, and it is believed that local residents there have also been effected.
stuartcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 20:44   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
Can I ask what it cost?. I have been quoted AUD$1300 but I have a feeling it is going to be much more than that.

Regards,George

I was charged USD 212.00 using a specific form of Methol Bromide that kills all wood borers.

Important thing is to remove all materials that can absorb it like Pillows/Mattresses/Clothes/Food/carpets/rags etc……

And after forced airing a complete interior wipe down with fresh water (including bilges).

In the tropics we do this every 2nd year and plan to stay off the boat for 2 nights. Usually do it following a shipyard period and with a certified fumigator, he provides you with a De-ratting certificate.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/MBtech.pdf
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 23:00   #14

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Retired exterminator here. The Company doing the fumigation are responsible for securing the area or vessel in the approiate manner. On a boat or ship at dock wind is to be taken into consideration and everything is to be secured accordingly. This is thier job!!! I have done this type of job many times. If the gas escaped someone screwed up period. If this was done in the USA contact the approiate Structural Pest Control Board and file a complaint. Just this threat is enough to make most companies do the job right without any more expense on your part. If not go to small claims court. The Judges there will almost always find in your favor because the Fumigator is a professional and should have secured everything properly because wind happens on the coast! In any case complain to approiate regulatory agency, it's your right.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote