Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2012, 15:53   #1

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.
Fuel Tank Location, need advice.

Hello,
I am renovating a boat powered by an inboard Yanmar 2qm15 diesel engine which has a mechanical fuel pump bolted to it. When the engine is fitted to it's bed the fuel pump location is at about floor level.

I am going to fit a 40 Litre S/Steel fuel tank and I'd like to position it towards the back of the boat but don't know if I can have it down low near floor level, or if it needs to be up higher.

The original fuel tank was a 100 litre capacity tank and it was bolted up under the deck in the bow of the boat which meant it was situated about a foot higher than the fuel pump.

My question is - Would the pump still be able to supply sufficient fuel to run the engine if I lowered the postion of the fuel tank to floor level or does it need gravity to help it along?

Thanks,
Bony
bony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 16:09   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Fuel Tank Location, need advice.

There is no need for gravity to feed the engine that's what the pump is there for. Although that little pump wont pull up more than a few feet (rough guess 3)

But you can add an electric pump and put your fuel tank wherever you want it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 05:33   #3

Hi Sailmonkey,

The bottom of the new tank will be positioned about the same height as the mechanical fuel pump. The fuel pickup tube exits at the top of the tank so I guess the pump will have to lift the fuel no more than a foot. I'll try it to see how it goes and if there is a problem I'll look at fitting an electric pump, as you suggest. It sure will be good to have the bow area freed up.

Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
bony
Old 19-04-2012, 07:17   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I agree with the above. I installed an electric fuel pump in my system which I run for 30 seconds while I have the glo-plugs on. She starts the first second or two. My tank in in the keel and has to pull at least 3 feet.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 18:51   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

This advice is all good. Id you want to make the system bulletproof, weld a nipple on the bottom of the steel tank (but not the sump, which should be separately plumbed), and run a line into a T-fitting leading from the mechanical pump to the injectors. That way, you can bypass the initial mechanical pump for a gravity feed if the pump either clogs or needs service.

Please note that I don't know your engine's layout specifically, but you can look up "daytank" or "gravity feed tank" to figure out how to rig this if needed.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 18:59   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

You are not allowed to gravity feed a tank. You are suppose draw from the top. Why not do it like everyone else does?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 19:22   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Consider it an emergency measure. I have done it with a jerry can on the bridgedeck, a length of fuel-grade hose and an Atomic 4 when the pump gave out. Not ideal, of course, but better than drifting ashore.

Note that I specified a nipple at the bottom of the tank, but not the sump, a "sub-tank" designed to collect goo from diesel and which is away from the pick-up tube.

Daytanks above the engine are not particularly rare, as they contain 10-40 gallons of "post-filter" diesel that is lifted by a separate fuel pump integral to the filter system. The gravity feed, which I agree is not a long-term solution but merely a get-home contingency, is possible with a tank above the level of the injectors.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 05:53   #8

Thanks everyone for the interesting replies to my question.

My fuel system will have two fuel filters. One primary filter with moisture trap fitted somewhere in the line, and a secondry (Yanmar) filter bolted to the engine. Can you tell me if it is necessary then to have the primary fuel filter lower than the fuel tank? I figure it would need to be lower for the moisture trap to work efficiently, is this so?

bony.
Old 20-04-2012, 05:58   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

No need to have it lower, the fuel containing water will be drawn into the filter and then separated there.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 06:19   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Just to keep it up to date and w/i guidelines>>> §*58.50-10***Diesel fuel tanks. :: PART 58--MAIN AND AUXILIARY MACHINERY AND RELATED SYSTEMS :: CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY :: Title 46 - Shipping :: Code of Federal Regulations :: Regulations :: Law :: Justia
Old 20-04-2012, 08:11   #11

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Don't know the details on the 2QM, but on the 3GM the installation manual says that if the suction head is greater than 0.8 meters, an extra feed pump should be attached. My boat has the tank in the keel and has an electric feed pump in addition to the mechanical one on the engine.

While probably not a bad idea to follow where you can, this section pertains to inspected vessels.

From: CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY :: Title 46 - Shipping :: Code of Federal Regulations :: Regulations :: Law :: Justia

Subchapter F consists of subparts 50 through 64

Subpart 50.05—Application
§ 50.05-1 General.
(a) The regulations in this subchapter shall apply to the marine engineering details of installations on vessels required to be inspected and certificated under other subchapters in this chapter as described in §50.01–10.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 08:52   #12

bony, have you considered materials other than stainless for your new tank? My (limited) research on the subject indicates that non-metallic materials like plastic may offer a better solution, due to better resistance to corrosion. And of the metals, aluminum would probably be more cost effective than stainless.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 06:21   #13

Well, thanks again everyone for the great advice. The links to the US regulations proved to be interesting reading and give some good guidelines, but they don't apply here in Australia, I'll have a google for some Aussie regs.

Cal40John,
The suction lift for my system would be nowhere near 0.8m so it should be ok for the 2QM. I'll add an electric pump anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Speedoo,
Thanks for the suggestions on tank material but I already have a S/Steel tank which I bought on Ebay for AU$45, a real bargain because the tank is in almost new condition, it holds 40 Litres or about 10 US gallons, which will be plenty for my needs.

Thanks again to all.

Regards,
Bony.
Old 21-04-2012, 06:54   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bony View Post
Well, thanks again everyone for the great advice. The links to the US regulations proved to be interesting reading and give some good guidelines, but they don't apply here in Australia, I'll have a google for some Aussie regs...........
In essence there aren't any.......yet.......that is why it is good place to live
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 07:51   #15

Boat: Union Polaris cutter, 36'

If installing an electric fuel pump be sure to choose one that will not shut off the supply when it fails. Standard automotive pumps work but most will shut off your fuel when they lose power or fail.
ovrmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank