Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 08:31   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Fuel Tank Location, need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
In essence there aren't any.......yet.......that is why it is good place to live
How about>>> National Government Marine Departments

Here are the racing regs.>>> http://www.sailing.org/tools/documen...lete101209Web-[7979].pdf or ISAF : ISAF Offshore Special Regulations

And some more specific for NZ. >> Safety Regulations
Old 22-04-2012, 04:27   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bony View Post
Hello,
I am renovating a boat powered by an inboard Yanmar 2qm15 diesel engine which has a mechanical fuel pump bolted to it. When the engine is fitted to it's bed the fuel pump location is at about floor level.

My question is - Would the pump still be able to supply sufficient fuel to run the engine if I lowered the postion of the fuel tank to floor level or does it need gravity to help it along?

Thanks,
Bony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You are not allowed to gravity feed a tank. You are suppose draw from the top. Why not do it like everyone else does?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
While probably not a bad idea to follow where you can, this section pertains to inspected vessels.

From: CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY :: Title 46 - Shipping :: Code of Federal Regulations :: Regulations :: Law :: Justia

Subchapter F consists of subparts 50 through 64

Subpart 50.05—Application
§ 50.05-1 General.
(a) The regulations in this subchapter shall apply to the marine engineering details of installations on vessels required to be inspected and certificated under other subchapters in this chapter as described in §50.01–10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bony View Post
Well, thanks again everyone for the great advice. The links to the US regulations proved to be interesting reading and give some good guidelines, but they don't apply here in Australia, I'll have a google for some Aussie regs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
In essence there aren't any.......yet.......that is why it is good place to live
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Delmarrey, thanks for the links and while I haven't read every page of each link, the ones I have read haven't referenced any regulations regarding the installation of a diesel fuel tank on a private yacht.

Perhaps you can be so kind to point out the actual regulation (or a direct link to it) that you have alluded to which would apply to the OP's situation. I (and possibly the OP) would always be keen to learn more about Aussie rules and regulations.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 08:32   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I did a lot of research and could not find anything that pointed directly towards the construction of a vessel. And the word "construction" is used differently in OZ then in the USA, it seems.
Apparently, the codes of construction are a guarded secret. Everything I found was in relation to safety on the water with equipment and not the vessel itself.

There is a Surveyors group. So they must has some standard that they go by. Maybe to contact one of them would get better info, unless they want to keep it to themselves. >>> Surveyor List

Then there is the AS 1799 >>> http://www.nmsc.gov.au/media/pages_m...er%20Boats.pdf
which again seems to only refer to equipment and floatation.

But I did find this: >> Boat builder's ABP information
Quote:
Standards
One should not confuse a Design and Construction standard with the ABP Standard. The ABP Standard is simply a document that describes the Australian Builders Plate, what should be on the plate, what vessels it applies to, where it should be fitted and other details about the plate itself.

A design and construction standard (such as Australian Standard 1799) details how to assess the carrying capacity of a vessel, how to conduct stability tests, etc, on the design side, and on the construction side - the minimum size of ventilators to engine compartments, the arrangement of exhaust systems etc.

The three main Design and Construction standards that a builder is likely to consider when assessing the carrying and powering capacity of a vessel are Australian Standards, American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) standards, and International Standards Organisation standards (ISO). Both Australian and International standards may be purchased at Standards Australia and the ABYC standards may be purchased at the American Boat and Yacht Council.

Some websites require the purchaser to become a member of the organisation before they may purchase a standard.
Note that the ABP says nothing about build quality or hull strength (though a builder would presumably ensure the transom can take the forces that an outboard is likely to place on the transom). The ABP only gives customers essential information about carrying capacity, outboard engine power and weight, and for vessels under 6 metres the standard of buoyancy. The customer will obviously consider all things about the vessel when making a purchasing decision - the vessel's capacity and power, but also fit-out quality, amenity, appearance, and if they hire a surveyor to examine the vessel, the machinery and construction quality as well.
But everything seems to be small/power boat rated.

OZ does have the ABCB but all the links to it are dead. >>> Waratah-Wynyard Council - FAQ Building - Local Government, Somerset, Boat Harbour, Sisters Beach, Tulips, Beaches
Or maybe not accessible from the USA. I think they want you to buy the publication$.
Old 23-04-2012, 06:47   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

With respect to the OP's situation of fitting a new fuel tank to his private yacht, I think all the above just supports my original assertion - in essence there aren't any (regulations) applicable in Oz
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank