Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2008, 04:49   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Fuel pump question

I have been struggling with my Isuzu C240 diesel this season and concluded last night that the electric fuel pump (which comes in line just before the second Racor, near the engine) is not working properly. Is this an extremely proprietary piece of hardware or can I get any diesel pump for 2.4 liter engine?
Old 29-04-2008, 05:25   #2

may not be the problem.
what model is the racor?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 05:29   #3

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM
Racor in fact makes a diesel fuel pump that is off the shelf and about $80US when i bought one for my yanmar 2GM20. the info you need is what is the required maximum gallon per hour diesel fuel flow rate for your 40 HP isuzu engine, should be able to find that from isuzu on the internet or in yr engine manual.. the RACOR diesel pump had an inlet and an out let fuel hose , clearly marked and also the electrical connections (also clearly marked. ) many auto part stores also carry diesel fuel pumps but be careful on the flow rates, some of the big diesel SUV's running 300 hp will have diesel pumps which are too powerful for your system. when swapping out the fuel pumps, have a helper with an old rag ready to catch the drips. quickly disconnect the fuel hose and hold it high in the air to keep fuel from leaking out and getting that diesel fuel in yr bilge. i usually grab some disposable diapers from family members and blanket the engine compartment with them to avoid a messy spill. check your fuel hose diameters and make sure the new diesel fuel pump will accomodate the ports. after installing the new pump, you should bleed your system to get the air out of the pump at what ever bleed screw is located after the electric pump and before the secondary 'fine' filter on the engine.
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 05:36   #4

Mitch,
Running an electric fuel pump on a GM series Yanmar is asking for a failure. The GM uses a mechanical diaphragm fuel pump. These leak quite often. If you push fuel through it the fuel can fill the crank case.
Old 29-04-2008, 05:57   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Pat How about on a 4JH4E. I was advised by a mechanic that works on Volvos that it was a good idea to put an electric fuel pump in between the racors and the secondary fuel filter. The bottom of the tanks are approx. 24" to 30" below the secondary filter. I've never had any problem with fuel starvation but was curious as to your thoughts.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 06:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Pat How about on a 4JH4E. I was advised by a mechanic that works on Volvos that it was a good idea to put an electric fuel pump in between the racors and the secondary fuel filter. The bottom of the tanks are approx. 24" to 30" below the secondary filter. I've never had any problem with fuel starvation but was curious as to your thoughts.
Charlie,
The JH lift pump is driven off of the injection pump cam. It can still put diesel into the crank case. but the path is more difficult. Your installation is an excellent case for a day tank. Use a low pressure pump from the main to the day tank. Then let the engine do it's thing. This could in turn be set up as a scrubber with a Racor between the tanks.
Old 29-04-2008, 06:19   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks Pat:

Is this something to do preventatively. I haven't had a problem with it yet. But not having a problem could be just b/c the engine (thus the lift pump) are new.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 06:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I checked with NAPA and they have 3 types of Universal brand pumps that put out 36 g.p.h. at 2.75, 4-5.5, 6-8 psi, respectively.

Unfortunately, I have no documentation on the engine nor can I find much on the Internet. Any ideas on which one I should go for?

They all run appx. $110, btw.
Old 29-04-2008, 06:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I checked with NAPA and they have 3 types of Universal brand pumps that put out 36 g.p.h. at 2.75, 4-5.5, 6-8 psi, respectively.

Unfortunately, I have no documentation on the engine nor can I find much on the Internet. Any ideas on which one I should go for?

They all run appx. $110, btw.
36gph is to high for a 40hp engine.

Do you mind answering my earlier question or is my advise worthless to you?
Old 29-04-2008, 06:48   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry, it's an 500MA racor, I believe - at least it uses the same paper filters.
Old 29-04-2008, 06:52   #11

ok, that's your problem.

Move the lift pump after all of the Racor filters. The 500's are designed for suction side use. They have a check ball in side of them and will work intermittently with a pressure feed.
Old 29-04-2008, 06:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interesting, but odd, as it wasn't an issue until recently. As I was trying to bleed the system last night is when I discovered that the electric fuel pump wasn't getting fuel to the lift pump.
Old 29-04-2008, 07:01   #13

If the check valve in the second Racor is seated it won't pass fuel. I have seen it in the past work for some time then stop. To test it, bypass the pump with a hose and see if it will prime on the lift pump only.
Old 29-04-2008, 07:13   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks. Will check that out. So, what kind of flow-rate for the pump should I be looking for?
Old 29-04-2008, 07:17   #15

about 5x your highest burn rate. I don't know the spec's on the Isuzu. But I'd guess around 10-15 GPH @ 5-7 psi

Tags
fuel, fuel pump