Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2013, 21:03   #31

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Re: FRIGOBOAT HORROR (TRUE) STORY

We're watching this thread with a lot of interest because we too have a keel-cooled fridge/freezer. Bonded, no zinc on the cooler but one bonded one over the side and several others, no shore power connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Nothing but great from our keel cooler frigoboat system for 4 years. Very efficient.
I think ours has been running for about 15 months by now and with an all-solar budget the efficiency has been wonderful.

The only technical issues we've had were due to the web site, it confused Amps with Amp-hours or something like that. We pointed it out but I don't think they fixed it. Not too surprising if the marketing or web folks don't understand the technical terms but still aggravating

Quote:
I can see how a business would have a script to convert to email coorespondence
This was actually a point that made me really sit up and scratch my head. I absolutely detest companies that refuse to do e-mail tech support. Few things are more frustrating than having to speak on the phone and explain the same thing over and over and over again as you get passed around the support team. Forget about having to repeatedly spell out serial numbers and model numbers etc.. Phone support, beyond simple questions, is designed to wear you down and give up.

E-mail support is to die for when dealing with any technical issue that require accuracy.

-Sven
Old 19-12-2013, 22:07   #32

Boat: PETERSON 44

Who installed and or wired the unit? I think I would look at the electrician and installer to get this right and confirm the install is at spec. Once it's installed and checked then have a go at the manufacturer. Could it be that you put the frigie guys at a defensive position?
Never push people back. Speak quietly so they lean forward to hear you. They are near your ear so you can listen well. Now you are positioned well to reevaluate your position or deck the bastard. Pretty sure at the end of this you will reevaluate.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 22:24   #33

Boat: Trismus 37

Move your cooling circuit to your water tank">fresh water tank, it works well. This is a popular way of avoiding the problems you are having.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 03:59   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

I would seem that if this problem was caused by electrolysis that the stray current was from the Frigoboat system itself. If the boat had this much stray current before this it would be going though zincs and props so fast that you would know. So since there wasn't a problem before it is reasonable to think that the new equipment was the source.
Old 20-12-2013, 04:00   #35

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Here's what happened when Flying Pig ran his out of the water. I think it took him a few months to finally determine the cause of his failure.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-114081.html

The original thread.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...em-106061.html
Old 20-12-2013, 05:19   #36
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

One of my refrigeration units is a keel cooled frigoboat that worked flawlessly for 10 years. There is still no problem with the keel cooler, although the control unit for the danfoss compressor has recently started acting up - something which, from what I have read, is pretty common for all refrigeration units using danfoss compressors. Why go to keel cooling? It draws much less electricity than my other, air cooled refrigeration unit.

I'm with those who are saying that this was a problem caused by the installer.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:38   #37

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36
Re: Frigoboat Horror (True) Story

Not being an expert, but seeing this kind of damage before I'll bet you the installer over tightened the nut holding the cooler through the hull. When they did this they cracked the fitting which allowed salt water to infiltrate the damaged area. This is why it looks like it's corroded, but this does not look like galvanic corrosion. The surfaces are dis colored but not eaten away. Also you can see the area that is fairly clean at the top of the fitting, this was the last part to go. This is only an opinion derived from observation of the photos and mechanical experience accumulated over the last 40 years.
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 14:22   #38

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

My Frigoboat keel cooler worked great in 90 degree water and 95 degree heat. When we hauled out for 2 weeks in Borneo I rigged a simple drip system that required refilling plastic bins in the cockpit every 2-3 days, no running hose. Kept our ice-cream frozen and our beers cold.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 21:10   #39

Another happy long-term Frigoboat customer. I wouldn't have any other brand.

Seems unlikely that this was Frigoboat's fault. But if it was, calling the dealer names seems unlikely to get the desired result.

And you're going to threaten a lawsuit over a fridge?
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 01:20   #40

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I also vote for installation issue. Somehow you got some of your positive volts to the frame of the fridge unit. That measurement should still be easy. The issue then becomes how did it happen, Assuming the unit was turned off, is it as suggested that the negative was switched. Is there a alternative supply for control/measuring perhaps, if it was not isolated but shutdown via thermostat perhaps there was leakage that way.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 15:30   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 44 Center Cockpit

Veco has agreed to replace the ruined equipment (keel-cooler, compressor & evaporator) and "work with me" on the other extra costs. Should be back up and running within a week. Then we can head for the islands, finally. Will post final results, but looking better.
Old 23-12-2013, 15:56   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by konakoma View Post
Veco has agreed to replace the ruined equipment (keel-cooler, compressor & evaporator) and "work with me" on the other extra costs. Should be back up and running within a week. Then we can head for the islands, finally. Will post final results, but looking better.
The 64 dollar question will be what does the installer do different when the new parts are put into service
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 16:40   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Replacement is great but its only part of the story. If you don't determine what caused it in the first place we'll look forward to deja vu in about three weeks.
Old 23-12-2013, 17:08   #44

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Especially make sure there's no power switch or loose connection in the NEGATIVE power lead !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 18:43   #45
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Man, you took care of that real macho tough! I'm sure they are already hiding themselves on "the islands" now they know you're on the way

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote