Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 16:25   #1

Fresh Water Bladder Recommendations

Replacing the original water tank in my 1974 C&C 30 with a bladder. Wondering if anyone has an experience with the different bladder manufacturers. Is one better than the others? Which holds up better? Which one is more user friendly? Does one have worldwide parts availability vs the others? Looking for your experience and recommendations.
Topward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 19:29   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Fresh Water Bladder Recommendations

Over here there are three main manufacturers, Plastimo (France), Vetus (Netherlands) and Can (Italy).

I have all 3 on board.

In comparison, so far the CAN wins.

The Plastimo ones I have came with the boat and tend to leak at the fitting and split along the edges. Material is a translucent film liner with a fabric cover. Edges are welded but only once.
The tankmaterial itself is not textile reinforced.
No 3rd connector for vent.

Vetus & Can both use thick fiber reinforced material with double welded edges.
Material wise robust.

CAN wins, as they weld in a connector plate while Vetus relies on a customer attached press fitting which tends to leak. CAN has a vent connector which is desirable to let air escape when filling. Doing this through the filler is unreliable in my view.

One thing I do not like on the CAN is that the welded in fitting seems to be not very strong. Time will tell how well that lasts.

I'm any case put some thin foam or netting under the tank to prevent chafe. One way to secure them is adding a strong net over them.

Good luck.

Franziska
Old 09-07-2018, 22:32   #3

Re: Fresh Water Bladder Recommendations

Franziska,

Thank you for your input. Love the anti-chafe tip. Sounds like the Plastimo is a product to steer clear of.

Thanks again.

Pete
Topward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, water