Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2021, 14:00   #1

Boat: Looking
Free Labor in Louisiana

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and new to exploring sailing. I would like to trade labor for learning about boating and boat maintenance. Anyone in the Hammond, Mandeville, Slidell, New Orleans area of Louisiana that needs help with a sailboat project, I would like to join in and learn. The project could be anything from mechanical to just labor. I do have a previous mechanical background although it has been some time ago. Just looking to get my hands dirty and learn. So if you need some help shoot me a reply.
SailingMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 17:17   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Free Labor in Louisiana

Why don't you front up to the boatyards in your area and offer your help in person. That way people would be able to assess your genuineness and capabilities and you would be able to select a project(s) that best suits your needs. (Before I started building my yacht I helped on a couple of yachts)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 20:22   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Free labor??? Hell...I'll fly you to California
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 05:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Maverick.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 06:42   #5

Hi Coopec43,

That's what kinda led me to this forum actually. I did that locally and helped a husband and wife team do the bottom of their boat and instead of visiting the rest of the marina's I just thought I would encompass them all and post here. @ Celestialsailer I still work so this would just be as I had time to help, I wish I were close to Cali tho...
@GordMay had a very good friend of mine when I was in the Navy from TB. I used his military ID as my ID for the first two years. I still celebrate his birthday as my 2nd B-Day lol
SailingMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 06:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingMaverick View Post
@GordMay had a very good friend of mine when I was in the Navy from TB. I used his military ID as my ID for the first two years. I still celebrate his birthday as my 2nd B-Day lol
Who dat?
PM me, if more appropriate.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 07:48   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

If you need further help let me know, I would be happy to.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 08:06   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

What do you do for work? If it’s not too personal, what’s your income level?

I have at least year’s worth of work here building a boat from scratch.

It’s a 50ft, high tech, high performance catamaran.

I just had a heart attack and now have heart failure so, I need to hire a couple people to complete the interior and systems while I put all my time into less physical labor and rehabilitation.

I can offer a full time job if you’re interested. Florida.

Please let me know how you’d like to be contacted.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 08:22   #9

Hi Chotu,

You would be the perfect type of person I would love to help out. I am an Investment Advisor and have a marine engineer background. I am not looking for an income as I am all set in that area. I am really just looking for a local person to help out in my spare time. Florida would be too far for me, I am so sorry. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 16-05-2021, 08:50   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingMaverick View Post
Hi Chotu,

You would be the perfect type of person I would love to help out. I am an Investment Advisor and have a marine engineer background. I am not looking for an income as I am all set in that area. I am really just looking for a local person to help out in my spare time. Florida would be too far for me, I am so sorry. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thank you!

I understand your situation better now. Makes sense. Thanks for the response.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 21:11   #11

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

Gord,
Just wanted to thank you for all your very intelligent replies to various items. I went through many of your pictures and posts (not all 41,000) and am impressed with your knowledge and compassion. Would love to meet you
Thanks
Stan
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 23:06   #12

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
What do you do for work? If it’s not too personal, what’s your income level?

I have at least year’s worth of work here building a boat from scratch.

It’s a 50ft, high tech, high performance catamaran.

I just had a heart attack and now have heart failure so, I need to hire a couple people to complete the interior and systems while I put all my time into less physical labor and rehabilitation.

I can offer a full time job if you’re interested. Florida.

Please let me know how you’d like to be contacted.
So sorry to hear of your health problems. Actually I wondered what happened as you started a thread and then we didn't hear anymore from you which is most uncharacteristic of you.

I am very conscious of the fact that I am 12000 miles away but if I can help by telling you where I got parts or how I overcame a problem please yell out. (I'm sure there'd be a lot of guys on the forum that would do the same).

Also I'm sure there are plenty of guys like SailingMaverick who would love to learn about boat building and would be delighted to get involved in your project.

Cheers
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote