Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2022, 09:11   #31

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Foam core hull compression damage

I have had two tanks out of my Corbin recently, here is a photo I took as I was getting ready to put them back in. This is looking at the pilothouse floor after the hull has been flowcoated. On the left side of the photo (i.e. to stbd) I have marked a dashed red line which shows the lower extent of the Airex core. On the right side of the photo you can see how that Airex core sits on top of (i.e. inside of) the outer hull GRP and how another layer of GRP is on top of that to form a sandwich.

That photo at the start of this thread is of a plug of Corbin hull was taken from the class association website at https://corbin39.org/faq/?Display_FAQ=4396 . As you can see in the plug photo the outer hull layer is approx 10mm thick. That plug is fairly representative of the Corbin hull along this area.

(I've got some more detail on the hull layup in that area, but I don't think it matters. I also have some info on the hull strength vs current boat building recomendations. Again I don't think the detail matters, suffice it to say the safety factor (FoS) is quite high. The original poster can come on the Corbin group facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/711494475930121/ if they want more detail.).

The hull on this Corbin has obviously deformed due to a few years of point loadings from the side in a hot climate, as opposed to either being evenly supported in the water, or being supported from below via the keel on land with only lateral restraint from props. I guess I now know how not to use a hurricane pit ! (i.e. best leave the keel onto something solid and taking the load).

My personal opinion from the information given is that the condition of the Airex core is mostly irrelevant. What is more important is whether there is any damage that should concern us in the outer 10mm of GRP. Given that there is apparently no cracking then I'd simply negotiate the price down depending on my own personal feeling about these things.

This is the last-but-one Corbin ever built, you can read more about it at https://corbin39.org/200-complicite/ . I hope she finds a good home, and I know the original owner feels the same way, she was gorgeous when he sold her in 2017.
petit bateau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression, Corbin, corbin39, core, damage, foam core, hull, hull damage