Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 14:14   #16

Re: Floating Bulkheads

Foam on the edges of bulkheads that are then glassed to the hull properly is meant to keep "hard spots" from showing on the outside of the hull over time. Fiberglass continues to shrink for a long time after is initially set. If you've looked at many boats you may have noticed some with a definite hard line or bump where a bulkhead is located. I saw a definite hard bump on the side of an old Catalina 34 the other day ... didnt look like a major bulkhead location so probably a furniture bulkhead location. The problem can be solved by simply spacing the bulkheaad away from t he hull before glassing also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 14:34   #17

Boat: Pearson 34-II

So, if a vessel's bulkhead is tabbed to the hull, port and starboard, but the top and bottom of the bulkhead sit in grooves and are not attached, is this a floating bulkhead by definition? If so, is this acceptable construction for offshore work? Could the top be screwed/through bolted and the bottom floating and if so, why? It is amazing how few builders address these structural concerns which comprise a major factor in the build since they are crucial to the intergrity of the vessel. Is there a real answer based upon the physics of construction?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 14:38   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Foam on the edges of bulkheads that are then glassed to the hull properly is meant to keep "hard spots" from showing on the outside of the hull over time.(...)
This is one function.

Another is to avoid damage if the hull is pushed from the outside with a large force at a point adjacent to the location of the bulkhead. An extreme case is when a boatyard hand places the support in the wrong place, etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 14:43   #19

I suppose so..... not much give if the bulkhead is glassed both sides though.

Old 09-09-2013, 14:46   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I believe that bulkheads can be either structural on non-structural in a yacht design. Not being a NA, I'm not qualified to evaluate any specific design, but it seems that if a floating bulkhead is only there as a "room divider" there is no problem. If it is supposed to add stiffness to the hull, well, that's a different matter entirely. And to anchor chain plates to a bulkhead that is not bonded into the hull quite securely seems folly to me. I know that our shroud chainplates are indeed bolted to partial bulkheads, and that they are massive and heavily tabbed into hull and deck structures.

There have been reports here on CF of late model boats with floating bulkheads having them come adrift in heavy going, ostensibly from severe flexing of the hull allowing them to escape their grooves. Don't know how reliable these reports are, but that would seem to be a overwhelming condemnation of the construction method.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-09-2013, 14:52   #21

Yeah... some boats even with glassed in bulkheads have flexed enough in rough weather to rip the deck to hull joint apart.. even though bolted (glassed with chopper gun) A Cheoy Lee going down the pacific coast comes to mind...... however, pretty rare... OTOH... a Westsail without bulkheads may have enough hul strength to be OK... hard to say.

Old 09-09-2013, 15:02   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Up in this Maine this summer a euro boat (can't remember the brand) bumped their keel. The boat was hauled and inspected, and the keel and related structure were found ok, but the galley had come adrift
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 15:23   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah... some boats even with glassed in bulkheads have flexed enough in rough weather to rip the deck to hull joint apart.. even though bolted (glassed with chopper gun) A Cheoy Lee going down the pacific coast comes to mind...... however, pretty rare... OTOH... a Westsail without bulkheads may have enough hul strength to be OK... hard to say.
J-27 gutted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	66916  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 15:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
J-27 gutted.
Same boat, main bulkhead. I like how they cut a second pass-through to match the original one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	66917  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, loa