Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 09:02   #1

FLEXITEEK, Anyone Used It?

Hi all

around a dock i saw a boat, from a bit away i thought it was perfectly clean teak, got closer, i was in dubdt, touched it, not sure yet...asked the owner and was Flexiteek...even touching it it feel's like wood, as the surface is not sipper, it has small pieces attached on it, like when you are sanding something with a big grade sanders and you still have to finish to sand the wood and it remain pratically smooth but with some little parts attached to it...quite impressive
Any opinion about it?

Ok real teak is better, ecc...

Thanks
Stefano
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30
Re: FLEXITEEK, Anyone Used It?

We have been installing Dek-King in Canada and the Caribbean for the last two years and have had great success.
We use their standard line for Canada, unless it is a racing boat, then we use their G2 line. This line is 30% lighter then other makes and stays about 40% cooler. The nice thing about it is, we only weld our custom mats, no glue joints to split. We have done test on our joints be taking a 12" section of welded seam and suspending weight from it. Up to 900lbs before any separation on the joint. The other great thing is you can power wash the heck out of it with no damage at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkittson View Post
We have been installing Dek-King in Canada and the Caribbean for the last two years and have had great success.
We use their standard line for Canada, unless it is a racing boat, then we use their G2 line. This line is 30% lighter then other makes and stays about 40% cooler. The nice thing about it is, we only weld our custom mats, no glue joints to split. We have done test on our joints be taking a 12" section of welded seam and suspending weight from it. Up to 900lbs before any separation on the joint. The other great thing is you can power wash the heck out of it with no damage at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks for the review
Old 06-03-2016, 10:50   #4

Yes just having it installed as we speak, it looks very impressive indeed
Tremendously attractive and beautifully fitted.

As for real teak being better, I think that argument is now lost on the basis of longevity, stain resistance, cost and appearance, we will see longer term
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	120106  
Iredsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:11   #5

Wow, it looks very nice, even from photos it doesn't look real wood, i'm sure that live looks like a perfectly new teak wood..(as i thought the first time i saw it...) and 0 mainteniance, ecc...i would like to know if it's slippery when wet, and now, as new, is it a bit hairy?

Thanks
Ste
Old 10-08-2016, 02:53   #6

Boat: Davidson

Not sure how other countries go with customer service but my dealing with Flexiteek in Australia has been one big disappointment. They don't want to sell it to you even if you throw money at them. I have tried to purchase it from two different distributors now. the First stole my $2000 deposit and held it for 3 months before I got the fraud squad to sort it out. The second I approached in another state ignored my request for a quote. They can get stuffed. Im going to find a nice wood to lay up on my internal floor now.
AngrySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:05   #7

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySailor View Post
Not sure how other countries go with customer service but my dealing with Flexiteek in Australia has been one big disappointment. They don't want to sell it to you even if you throw money at them. I have tried to purchase it from two different distributors now. the First stole my $2000 deposit and held it for 3 months before I got the fraud squad to sort it out. The second I approached in another state ignored my request for a quote. They can get stuffed. Im going to find a nice wood to lay up on my internal floor now.
Your lucky day, before you buy just get a sample to test on your boat deck, it is very very very hot under foot, nearly blister heat, all teak gets hot but this stuff is extreme, maybe why they are in trouble?
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 15:05   #8

Boat: Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Your lucky day, before you buy just get a sample to test on your boat deck, it is very very very hot under foot, nearly blister heat, all teak gets hot but this stuff is extreme, maybe why they are in trouble?
Thanks for the tip. I decided not to use it anyway but its nice to have more reasons that support the decision.
AngrySailor is offline   Reply With Quote