Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 09:43   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Fleming Auxiliary Rudder Windvane Advice?

Does anyone else have one of these that can give me some advice? I stupidly bought one second hand for a fairly large amount of money and it seems to be pretty awful - I really wish I'd just waited for a second-hand hydrovane to turn up. This seemed to be good because it had the auxiliary rudder like a hydrovane while also having a servo-pendulum and being able to fold up.

My main issues are

- there appears to be no way to lock the auxiliary rudder central to the boat center line. This means when sailing/motoring and NOT using the windvane, the auxiliary rudder swings to one side, creating a TON of drag.

- this means I have to take the rudder out of the water everytime I'm not using it which is an almighty pain.

- when I DO want to use it, getting the auxiliary rudder and servo rudder all lined up so I can lock them in place seems almost impossible, especially in any kind of seaway. If the vane isn't held exactly straight so the servo-pendulum is straight and the auxiliary rudder isn't straight when you tighten the clutch, it won't work correctly. This, unfortunately, involves 3 hands and leaning over the back of the transom, almost impossible.

- when I think I do have everything lined up, it doesn't seem to even track that well. Maybe because I had to build my own vanes and they are unbalanced?

Unfortunately, the maker seems to have gone out of business so I have no way to mention any of this stuff to him - does anyone else have one and figured out the issues I mentioned?
Old 05-01-2019, 02:49   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Fleming Auxiliary Rudder Windvane?

alctel

Others seem to have problems too. Have you checked these threads out?
Fleming Auxiliary Rudder Windvane? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
www.cruisersforum.com › ... › Construction, Maintenance & Refit
2 days ago - 1 post - ‎1 author
This seemed to be good because it had the auxiliary rudder like a ... and NOT using the windvane, the auxiliary rudder swings to one side, ...Measurements for a Fleming aux rudder windvanew vane 6 posts 27 Jul 2018

Fleming Wind Vane Help! 11 posts 30 Oct 2015

Help with Fleming Wind Vane Install 6 posts 23 Aug 2015

Fleming Wind Vane - Wont work ? 15 posts 2 Feb 2013

Clive

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 14:30   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Fleming Auxiliary Rudder Windvane?

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately two of the links are about a different windvane and the last one the guy has even worse luck than me!

Tags
windvane, wind, rudder, fleming