Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 18:57   #1

Flatten Door

One of the "doors" on the boat is made from 5/8" teak veneer plywood. It's hung on a piano hinge. It's 24 yrs old and in good shape (finish wise) but I noticed that the latch side has a bow in it such that it fits at the latch but bows away at the top and bottom about 1/4".

Can this be made straight / flat?

I thought about putting alum angles to for a frame and then insert a mirror thinking that the angles might pull the door flat. But I think any temporary measure will see the door return to its bowed shape.

What say you?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:04   #2

Bowing is generally caused by one side either shrinking or expanding more than the other. What happens if you wet the concave side?
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Can this be made straight / flat?
Probably not. Once plywood warps it's been that way a very long time. A new piece might last another 24 years too. Bending it back would probably destroy the finish. Warped plywood has problems that won't come out just laying it flat.

Most doors would use straight wood on the frame and thinner material for the filler to reduce weight.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:07   #4

Boat: S&S 30
You could try to take the twist out by blocking the top or bottom out from the jamb with a over sized packer . Then push the sticky-out part of the door in with a push prop and hold it there somehow . Access through the door will be denied for however long it takes. Say 3 or for days. May work or may not? possibly worth a try . Has worked for me on other timber doors, not sure about ply.
Regards Jim
Jim Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 06:44   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I recently heard about hardware that fits into a grove in the back of the door that goes from the top to the bottom.
As I understand its a thin rod that fits in the grove that works like the bottom cord of a truss....is put under tension and depending on the location of off sets will bow the door in or out.
Check the suppliers of high end cabinet hard ware.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 07:34   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I'd second Jim Mc's advice. I have 6 handmade doors at my cabin made from maple plywood with pine frames. Due to the varying humidity levels, they warp over 2" from top to bottom. I use latches to lock the top of the door against the back wall, then use boards to force the bottom out. After a week, I'll add another board so the "de-warping" is done in stages. Two or three weeks and they are back straight, until the season changes. (they warp in the summer and winter).
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote