Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2008, 23:35   #1

Flatened Awalgrip

Is there any thing that can be done to fix some flattened out awalgrip? I am in a panic. Re-painting is not an option. Thank you for any help
boatsareme2@yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 00:20   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Check it out:

awlgrip.com - the professional topside paint system for yachts
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 08:56   #3

The Awlcare or 3MFinesseIt are options for trying to restore some shine. ONLY apply these by hand...ots of work! If those fail, then you probably have damage that is not repairable. A temporary and inexpensive solution would be to poliglow the hull: Welcome to Poliglow Products - The Manufacturer for Over 15 Years!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 09:28   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Since the finish surface has been compromised, the only solutions I have been able to get to work with flattened LPU are sanding with 220 grit and repainting, or rubbing out and waxing. The latter only lasts for a relatively short while. I suspect that is the same with any other surface treatment, but I have no familiarity with Poliglo, so ask around and look at examples. Sorry. Perhaps, next time, use accellerator and finish painting by lunchtime.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 10:02   #5

I should have explained my situation better. I am not painting the boat. The paint has been on for a few years. Is in very good shape. I am just doing the the varnish on the cap rails and some thing (maybe some solvent) got on the paint seemingly to flatten it or etch it maybe>? the damage has not compromised the the paint however, it just seems to be on the surface, like maybe rubbing compound was used a little bit. I was gone for a while when it happened so I am not sure. Any way it is not a real big area. So can that sort of thing be polished ? And what about the horrible water spots that I cant seem to remove. What is the best products to use on this paint to remove varnish as well. Thank you all for your advise.
shels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 11:37   #6

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
You don't appear to have many options left, other than polishing. Go for it.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 11:44   #7

Hard to tell if you've ruined the finish. Poliglow should be a last resort. NEVER use any wax based products on Awlgrip or the whole hull will turn cloudy. Never use ANYTHING with any abrasive properties like soft scrub or rubbing compound. The shiny layer is only microns thick and easily and permanently destroyed.
Get rid of water spots with filtered water supply and AWLWash. Follow that up with the AwlCare polish or 3M finesse it to restore shine IF the shiny part has not been damaged. Must be done by hand unless you have access to a slow speed professional polishing buffer.
As I said earlier poli-glow can restore shine temporarily on damaged hulls, but the only real solution is re-painting.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote