Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2023, 07:54   #16

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Fixing tiny weep hole in rudder - advice requested

To simplify it for the OP- the weep hole is likely how water is getting OUT once hauled.

Targeting where water is getting IN is the key. Usually it’s where the shaft enters the rudder blade. That’s your target.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:56   #17

Boat: Tartan 40

For reference, I found one of these weep holes last winter and am replacing my 35 year old rudder with a new one that Tartan is making (with carbon shaft to allow proper bonding to blade which should prevent water ingress)
Rudders are too important to neglect.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 12:14   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Sorry, but what you want to do will be purposeless. Trapped salt water inside the rudder will lead to oxygen deprivation corrosion of any stainless steel webbing in there. The fix is to open up the rudder and rebuild it, dry, not just seal it up. I'm afraid now is the time to learn about rudders.

Ann
Spot on Ann!

Look at my photos on this site of my rudder rebuild project. Use only syntactic foam as filler, not balsa or foam core. Mix US Composites 635 THIN epoxy resin with 3-M micro balloons in a 5 gallon bucket with a drywall paddle and a large drill motor. Consistency like Kraft marshmallow cream. Extremely slow cure and low heat epoxy. Build a form and fill it. Shape with a coarse wheel on a right angle grinder. Vacuum bag the skin. This is a forever-dry solution.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 15:41   #19

Quote:
So answering your questions are a waste of our time? We'll have to remember that.
I am confused - you told me you'd had a boat with a leaky rudder for 20 years with no problem. That was good to know. I thanked people for their information.

I never asked about rebuilding the rudder. It's fine that people tell me to do that - I respect their opinions and that's what the forum is for - but it's also fine that I don't want to get into that discussion at the moment.

Quote:
We need a like button LOL
Thanks
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, rudder