Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 15:49   #16

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Re: Fixing sloppy silicon job

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
the cheapest effective solvent for silicone is kerosene, or any of its equivalents such as paraffin lamp oil. Best applied by soaking in a bandage like Tear off of cotton rag, wrapping it around the 'joint' and then showing some patience by returning to replenish the soak. I have disassembled an aquarium this way. The silicone turns to jelly.

Dawn washing up liquid or similar is a good solvent for cleaning up the kerosene. Typically the best advise is as with anything...use the least invasive/aggressive solvent possible to get the job done.

while I would agree that a fire risk could still exist. With xylene, gasoline, or white gas stove oil there is the issue with fumes given off with perhaps greater risks of accidental combustion.
Brake Cleaner works quickly, is very cheap and very volatile... no oily residue.

Just saying...

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 16:01   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Brake cleaner will remove paint as in automotive paint (how do I know) so be careful if used elsewhere.
Old 30-05-2020, 16:13   #18

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Brake cleaner will remove paint as in automotive paint (how do I know) so be careful if used elsewhere.
Good warning.

My experience with the Brake Cleaner was with gelcoat and stainless steel.

No other substrates tested.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 16:34   #19

Boat: Bayliner 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Re-Mov does a very good job of removing silicone, but used in this kind of situation it will also break the bond. You might try a 3M adhesive eraser. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until you are ready to re-bed the rail.

Re-Mov removes the silicon residue as well and allows for good bonding. I have tested this. Good stuff, I was surprised.

There are good uses from silicone, this just isn't one of them.
I have been cleaning and resealing windows and hatches. use a solvent there are several that do a great job breaking the oil of the silicone
tekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 16:39   #20

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Oops. I meant brake fluid will remove paint. Makers Mark had nothing to do with it. I just looked up brake cleaner and it seems that it's good for most paint. I got some crappy silicone on my RV (that I did not do) which needs some correction. aybe I'll try brake cleaner.
Old 30-05-2020, 18:00   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Try Re-Mov!! Really.

You know I don't have an interest, but I do test stuff side-by-side. This product has earned a shout-out. And yes, it was tested against gasoline and xylene. Much better.
Old 30-05-2020, 18:39   #22

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Goof off worked for me, as did several of the "home-depot" style caulk removers.

IF the brake fluid method works, I would strongly suspect that DOT-2 is the one. Silicone brake fluid (DOT-5 ?) is paint-safe and less likely to work -- as well as more expensive.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 18:50   #23

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I also need to remove a silicone film that is invisible but prevents anything from sticking to it (around a portlight). I have done some web research and in addition to many of the suggestions above, WD-40 also came up as a useful solvent for removing silicone film. The film resulted from bedding the acrylic portlights in silicone and there was a bit of oozing around the edges, inside the masking tape boundary. The window cowlings that I have added on the opening portlights use a 3M adhesive tape, that will not stick to anything that has previously had silicone on it.

For more than a film, a hair dryer is recommended to soften the silicone prior to mechanical removal. I'm beyond that so will be trying the WD-40 and may also try the brake cleaner if the WD-40 doesn't work.
Old 01-06-2020, 20:58   #24

Boat: Farr 1020

For a completely environmentally friendly way to get the silicone oil out of gel coat - try steam.
I have heard of repaint jobs where the guys used a wallpaper stripper to steam the surface prior to repaint, it apparently works brilliantly. As such, you could try a simple steam hose locally to bring the oils out after the razor blade scraper.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 14:30   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

As you can see from all the replies, silicone has no place on a boat, bad news. Only place is re bedding hatch lens's in aluminum frame. don't use any place else.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 15:54   #26

Boat: Dufour 412 (41 ft)

Oh man, just purchased a new boat, had a couple leaks during heavy rain on some small thru deck bolts tightened the bolts gooped some silicone on the inside. Leaked stopped, I was feeling smug and independent not bugging the dealer but taking care of it myself then I read this thread, and now feel like a rookie. It’s like I tell my grandson though the only people that don’t make sailing mistakes are the people who don’t sail and that’s the biggest mistake of all.
Ddunmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:38   #27

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddunmire View Post
Oh man, just purchased a new boat, had a couple leaks during heavy rain on some small thru deck bolts tightened the bolts gooped some silicone on the inside. Leaked stopped, I was feeling smug and independent not bugging the dealer but taking care of it myself then I read this thread, and now feel like a rookie. It’s like I tell my grandson though the only people that don’t make sailing mistakes are the people who don’t sail and that’s the biggest mistake of all.
Especially if you have a cored deck, think seriously about repairing those leaks correctly, as they likely continue to leak water into the core, eventually causing it to rot.

There are plenty of posts on the web about how to do this. Main Sail's site offers the best (IMHO) and clearest instructions:
https://marinehowto.com/
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 20:16   #28

Boat: Dufour 412 (41 ft)

Definitely will do, thanks. Makes sense water will go somewhere.
Ddunmire is offline   Reply With Quote