Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2022, 07:37   #1

Boat: Hunter 410
First time haulout questions

I'm looking to do a haulout and some fairly significant maintenance this Spring on my 1998 Hunter 410. I'm currently in Charleston, SC. A local yard would be great, but I am looking at heading North for the Summer, so other options might make sense.

What I'm looking for is advice on what I need in a yard, what questions I should ask, and where I should look for a good option.

The big maintenance items I'm trying to get done are:
1. Bottom paint. I'll need to sand the old stuff off and put new stuff on.
2. Replace my dripless seal. I had to adjust it a few months ago, and there's not much travel left on the compressible rubber seal, so I need to replace the whole deal.
3. Since I'll have the shaft out, I want to do cutlass bearings and anything obvious in the transmission.

It will be my first time doing all of these tasks, so I really don't know what I don't know. Advice on things to consider for these tasks, what matters in a yard, how long this is going to take, etc. are all welcome.

Naturally, I'd love to do some of this work myself to save costs, but realistically the mechanical work at a minimum will require assistance from a professional.
Old 17-01-2022, 08:32   #2

Boat: Sabre 34II
Re: First time haulout questions

Changing the seal and cutlass bearing should take less than a day if you don’t find any other problems.

Bottom job could be just a light sand and a couple of coats which shouldn’t take more than a few days or blasting down to gel coat, fairing, barrier coats and paint which can take up to a week provided the weather cooperates.

Question is - what state is the bottom in (you must have a recent pre-purchase survey, right)?

While the boat is out you can also service the thru hulls if necessary.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 08:54   #3

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Question is - what state is the bottom in (you must have a recent pre-purchase survey, right)?
I have a diver come monthly who says the bottom is in great shape. Zincs were replaced ~2 months ago, and the current paint is actually holding up well. But it's been about 2 years since it was painted, and I figure if I have it out of the water I should go ahead and do it.
Old 17-01-2022, 09:16   #4

Boat: Sabre 34II

I am not an expert on bottom paint as I don’t do it myself but if the paint is holding up well I don’t think you need to do anything, I would avoid extra layers of paint just for the sake of painting.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 09:42   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Many yards do not allow DIY work or painting. They want the revenue and often cite local or state rules regarding pollution prevention as a reason. I assume you are aware of this so the only way to ensure you get reliable advice is to query a specific yard. People here tend to like guessing games.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 09:58   #6

I would just clean up the paint that is there and paint over it. Removing is a lot of work to no advantage really unless you intend to put a barrier coat on.
2. Replace my dripless seal. I had to adjust it a few months ago, and there's not much travel left on the compressible rubber seal, so I need to replace the whole deal.
3. Since I'll have the shaft out, I want to do cutlass bearings and anything obvious in the transmission.
Inspect the shaft well where it sits in the packing area. Shafts often corrode in there due to lack of use and low oxygen water corroding the shaft. This tears up a seal or packing.
You can get an opinion on if the cutlass bearing are worn or not. Sometimes these are quite difficult to replace, so give yourself time to work the problem.

Check with yards before deciding where. many dont allow your own work or at least your own bottom painting. They also insist on selling you the paint at full price+.

Make sure all your seacocks work readily, this is the time to check, replace or maintain them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 10:44   #7

Absolutely the most important thing to consider is the boatyard having a competent boatyard manager. Preferably, one who has credentials such as marine architecture and engineering. Be as thorough interviewing the Marina/boatyard as they are with prospective boat owners as tenants/customers.
A boatyard without a competent, permanent manager is helpless, plagued with delays and uncertainty of whether each job “was done right and that there is very little risk of failure.”
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 11:21   #8

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
What I'm looking for is advice on what I need in a yard, what questions I should ask, and where I should look for a good option.

You should call and explain that you want to do maintenance yourself, and that you need haulout and jack stands. Ask what you must do and what you must pay for that. If you need electricity, make that clear.

Quote:

Sanding off bottom paint is a last resort not a routine thing. Find out (from the previous owner or the yard that did the work) what kind of bottom paint you have. Put on something compatible with it that requires no or minimal sanding.

Many yards that allow DIY work don't allow sanding, or have specific requirements like doing the work indoors or building a tent around the boat.

If you truly need to remove the existing bottom paint, you may find that the best way to proceed is to hire someone to sandblast it down to the gelcoat and start over. If they have a booth set up for that the work goes quickly and can be cheap compared to doing it on an ad hoc basis with a homemade plastic tent framed up with 2x4s.

Quote:
Naturally, I'd love to do some of this work myself to save costs, but realistically the mechanical work at a minimum will require assistance from a professional.

That may be a tough ask. Most yards will do the work and will grudgingly let you watch. Some will let you do the work. Few will do the work together with you. In my experience anyway.

My advice would be find a yard that will do the shaft and seal work for you and let you do the bottom paint yourself (without sanding).