Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2020, 21:21   #1

First boat/ bulkhead question

so I bought a De Kleer Fraser 30 built-in 74, inch thick solid fiberglass hull, they were known for being overbuilt. and it's back in
Richmond where it was built.

two bulkheads are separating the v berth from the head/ shower and the setti on the port side.

I want to push the second bulkhead aft about 27" to make a booth setti beginning where the head was. can I do that?

and if so, both sides have to move right? you cant stagger a bulkhead, can you?

or can I reduce the original second bulkhead down to like a rib (6 -8 ")
and add a third bulkhead 27" aft of the second ( rib )

I want to put the head/shower on the starboard side of the companionway.
is this doable?

where do I find out what can be done? consult a shipwright?

I'm on the hard for as long as it takes.

also, I'm going to pull the Isuzu 2ab1 25 hp diesel engine and want to know what I could sell it for, it has a hydraulic drive and a 40 lt diesel tank.

thanks for any suggestions,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200513_0002.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	215026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200513_0001.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	215027  

svserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 21:23   #2

Re: First boat/ bulkhead question

or just reduce the second to a rib but twice as thick?
Old 14-05-2020, 01:16   #3

Boat: Freedom 32

Don't mess with your serenity.
The aft bulkhead usually takes the downward force of the mast, spreading the load. Not saying it can't be done, but why put yourself through all the work and expense.
It will be difficult to unload the boat when you are ready to move on to another boat as major structural changes tend to put buyers off.
Use it as it is intended or move onto another both that better suits your needs. Take this advice in the spirit that it is intended, from someone who has stubbornly put way too many hours into boat projects.
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 01:42   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

No good. That is your main structural bulkhead supporting the mast load. The only way you could begin any modification like this is to install a compression post from directly under the mast to the bilge and have a mast support system down there.

Just randomly moving the main support for the mast is a very bad idea.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 01:45   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Side question. Is that a hydraulic drive system in the drawing?? How do you like it? How loud are the hydraulics?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 01:53   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

It is almost never a good idea to make such structural changes in a boat. Beefing up, cosmetic alterations, rig changes and so on are sometimes successful, but what you are proposing will cost you more than you think, take longer than you think, and reduce the value of your boat in the eyes of everyone else, especially future buyers. And in all likelihood, the changes won't improve the boat for you own usage.

If, despite these factors you just MUST do these things, consult a NA for advice about how to make the changes without compromising the integrity of your yacht. Maybe he will say go ahead, but likely he will also discourage you... and you will be out his fees!

My advice? Sail the hell out of her as is, learn what she can teach you and when ready, armed with your new found knowledge, move on to another, better suited vessel.

Sorry, I'm sure that isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is reality as I see it.

Jim
Old 14-05-2020, 03:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

You CAN do a structural rib where the bulkhead was, but you'll have to get an engineer to spec. it. It may require building a beefy composite ring-frame section and grinding the hull down to bare glass to glue/tab it in. This sort of engineering exists, but isn't cheap, and isn't for the faint of heart. And you don't want to get it wrong. Lots of shops around here would do that sort of work, but none that I know would touch it without having an engineer sign off first.
Old 14-05-2020, 06:08   #8

Solid advice, I'll take it, thanks. Also the metal bracket where the beam attaches The mast to the keel ,one side is rusted completely, big fix??.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200512_202821.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	215038   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200512_202803.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	215039  

Old 14-05-2020, 06:08   #9

Oh , the hydraulic drive is awesome. Until you blow hose. But I'm going to pull the diesel and get rid of it and just go with the kicker.
Old 14-05-2020, 09:10   #10

My dad built a few fiberglass boats in the 70's... So I know. If the hull is one inch thick, it I would not be overly concerned. Cut the bulkhead leaving 8 to 10 inch rib, make sure it is also 1" thick and you should be fine. How thick is the top?
patrickbarbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 09:24   #11

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

The bulkheads should be as close to the mast base and chain plates as it can be--because that bulkhead is what stops the hull collapsing inwards as the stays are tensioned, as well as supporting the mast and transferring its downward thrust to the keel.

So that one has to stay put. I have my shower and heads on the bow side of that main bulkhead. The position of the other bulkheads are not so critical unless you also have a mizzen mast--in which case it might be a good idea to have one there too. The way of the chain plates must be supported--and a bulkhead is the simplest and best way of doing it--and it provides a good place to fix the floor supports for sole, bunks, lockers etc.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 09:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by svserenity View Post
Solid advice, I'll take it, thanks. Also the metal bracket where the beam attaches The mast to the keel ,one side is rusted completely, big fix??.
I'd grind that rust off and clean it all up and paint it. IF the rust isn't real deep.

Moving bulkheads: If the boat has a post supporting the mast that's good, then the next issue is that the bulkhead supports the chain plates from pulling the hull in toward boat centerline.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 09:38   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'd grind that rust off and clean it all up and paint it. IF the rust isn't real deep.

Moving bulkheads: If the boat has a post supporting the mast that's good, then the next issue is that the bulkhead supports the chain plates from pulling the hull in toward boat centerline.
Agree. As far as I can see from the photo the rust is mostly superficial and cosmetic. If that is indeed the case then clean it BUT instead of paint, recently tried a new product recommended by another member (A64 I think it was) called Rust Converter.

I had some bad rust on my transmission case that I painted including wire brushing back to bare metal, proper primer, etc. Didn't last a year. Coated it with Rust Converter and two + years later it's still perfect.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 10:28   #14

Serenity:

Would that be "Tommy Toot", sailing out of Nanaimo in former years?

Drop me a PM if you want to talk Fraser30.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 11:06   #15

From the documents I've skimmed through, it was in Nanaimo for some time can't remember the date though, I'll PM you

Tags
boat, head