Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 02:10   #31

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Finally got that Project Boat I've... always dreamed about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
Merc 9.9 onboard!
I've owned a Prius since 2008 but that doesn't make me an expert in alternative energy expert! LOL
I'm excited about the electric conversion, and Thunderstruck seems to have a pretty good track record on land and a small but successful one on water.

In communicating with them before the purchase (wanted to know they were still in business and would support their product), they sounded pretty enthused about my potential project. They want pics and story when I'm done.
They are down in Santa Rosa, which is just a 4 hr drive for me. When I think I'm ready to install, I'll contact them first to see if I can bring it all down and...
1. have them look over everything to make sure I've got what I need and it's all still in good shape
2. take a dry run through the install with them

We'll see how that goes. I'll be posting all that stuff here too.
Nice boat ! Good luck ! That 10kw unit is about 2k$. I believe you can go 48 or 36 volt with it. It fairly straightforward setup. It's also a regenering unit, so charges when sailing. Depending on your intended usages you must decide on whether one batt bank is sufficient. I suggest start with one and add if needed another later, or consider some solar. A monohull of course has limitations of 'real estate' for panels. But even with your 9.9 with regen you would have some built in redundancy. A sweet system altogether.
You sound enthused with a good attitude and a solid grip on the task at hand.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
We have a 69columbia28 which is aching for the same transplant, ours still having the Atomic 4 installed. I hope my health and retirement pkg hold out , for these projects are not for the lighthearted. Lol.
We now are now outfitting the horstman36 with a warp9 motor. Wife is doing the pilothouse construction.
Enjoy your boat. You can go boating/sailing without the electric motor. But you already know that. Do that whenever you can.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 09:25   #32

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

My name is David, I have not spent too much time there yet as I have a ton of work at home right now, but I will find your boat and keep an eye out for you when I am at the marina. Look forward to meeting you
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 10:07   #33

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
My name is David, I have not spent too much time there yet as I have a ton of work at home right now, but I will find your boat and keep an eye out for you when I am at the marina. Look forward to meeting you
My name is rather difficult for folks to remember... but if you've ever heard a hairlip dog bark... you'll get it!
"mark mark mark!"
wsmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, project