Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 09:10   #16

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985
Re: Finally got that Project Boat I've... always dreamed about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV US View Post
...well, if you were a cat I'd say you got the cream... and you're just lovin' it..
... I'd say if you look really really hard you'll find a few more delights...
...hope the po dose'nt recognise his handiwork.... will we get before & after pics when you've got through with everything ? ... we'll be waiting....
For sure about the updates!
I heartell there plenty of room online for yet another Sailing Blog... might just start one up and keep my running story (running mouth, in person) going there!

I found out the PO was/is a member of another online sailing forum... but he hasn't been on there for a few years and only made one post.
I found this out because I was looking around in their Hunter forums for threads on the 28.5 or other Hunter-related issues and figured out who he was.
I'm not a stalker!
wsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Electric motor will be fine, just be sure you have a good long shaft outboard too
Merc 9.9 onboard!
I've owned a Prius since 2008 but that doesn't make me an expert in alternative energy expert! LOL
I'm excited about the electric conversion, and Thunderstruck seems to have a pretty good track record on land and a small but successful one on water.

In communicating with them before the purchase (wanted to know they were still in business and would support their product), they sounded pretty enthused about my potential project. They want pics and story when I'm done.
They are down in Santa Rosa, which is just a 4 hr drive for me. When I think I'm ready to install, I'll contact them first to see if I can bring it all down and...
1. have them look over everything to make sure I've got what I need and it's all still in good shape
2. take a dry run through the install with them

We'll see how that goes. I'll be posting all that stuff here too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ElecMotorKitList.PNG
Views:	113
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	145207   Click image for larger version

Name:	ElecMotor1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	145208  

Name:	ElecMotor2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	145209   Click image for larger version

Name:	ElecMotor3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	145210  

Old 12-04-2017, 09:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
C

I'm at the end of I Dock... Osprey. Been there quite often lately, but still not everyday or night. Hopefully soon I'll be spending nights onboard from time-to-time. Maybe we'll meet?
I plan on joining the Yacht Club also... went to the last Potluck. I know a couple folks who are members there and already have some offers for sailing with folks.
When we were there at Woodley in August, we met a nice chap at the end of the dock we were on. Name is Jim, IIRC, has a racy looking boat at the end tie. The current rips through there and he has a nice system for docking that you should check out. Our dock was the one almost straight out from the laundromat or a tad to the west of it. Getting into our slip was one of the toughest I've had to deal with in 35 years of sailing - no breeze but a wicked current.

You will REQUIRE a strong, sturdy, DEPENDABLE engine with good power.

I've posted our log here:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160821_170133.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	145211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160821_170014.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	145212  

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
... but a wicked current.

You will REQUIRE a strong, sturdy, DEPENDABLE engine with good power.
HAHAHA.. yeah... I found that out when we moved the boat from the original slip to mine!
I'm either lucky, or in trouble, or both... my slip is an end slip so heading out or coming in will be relatively easy compared to those buried deeper in.
Then again... if everything is easy... what will I really learn?
I've been warned many times in just the last few months about the current, timing everything properly.. ESPECIALLY when exiting or entering the entrance to the bay!
I plan on sailing as often as possible, and with as many proficient local sailors as possible before I venture out on my own.
The boat in your post... is that the other guy's boat or yours?
I know the dock you are referring to, but I don't think I've met any 'Jim's yet.
Have met plenty of other nice folks, to include the several liveaboards out there!
When I'm up there pulling out the batteries today, I'll take a stroll over to see if I can find the boat with the interesting tie-up system. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:49   #20

Here's some pics of my boat... just for the record
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My Hunter 285.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	145213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	145214  

Name:	Portside Headon.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	145215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Portside.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	145216  

Old 12-04-2017, 10:00   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

There are a number of threads on this site about electric conversions. In particular, Captain Mike's blog: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: NEW YORK HARBOR SURVEY UPDATE is an excellent source of info. His info is better than most because he did it, has been using his boat around NYC for many years. I don't see many posts from Mike recently, but his email is on his blog.

Good luck with your project!!
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:16   #22

Quote:
The boat in your post... is that the other guy's boat or yours?
I know the dock you are referring to, but I don't think I've met any 'Jim's yet.
Have met plenty of other nice folks, to include the several liveaboards out there!
When I'm up there pulling out the batteries today, I'll take a stroll over to see if I can find the boat with the interesting tie-up system. Thanks!
That's my boat - just to "prove" I was really there.

Jim's trick is a pre-spliced stern line either from his stern cleat or his port jib sheet winch that goes to his big dock cleat. He can come in "hot" and still make his landing. Nothing special to look at, more material and technique than fancy stuff.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:44   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I'm not really interested in flipping a bunch of switches and leaving them on, or sailing with dangling wires with poor connections swinging about...
I'd rather see what kind of noodles this spaghetti is made up of before I enjoy the dish! (damn I'm clever! Just made that up! LOL)
It seems spaghetti is the norm. often on boats. I agree, get ride of the dangling wires. Ring them and label the ends. You don't want to be scratching your head in a pinch.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That's my boat - just to "prove" I was really there.

Jim's trick is a pre-spliced stern line either from his stern cleat or his port jib sheet winch that goes to his big dock cleat. He can come in "hot" and still make his landing. Nothing special to look at, more material and technique than fancy stuff.
Thanks! Been reading your blog... enjoying the read!
When I went to Commercial Diving School down in Wilmington, CA we did a fair amount of line work. I like to think I got pretty good at short and long splicing 3-strand!
Actually got to do a splice in a hurry as line played out off the workboat once out of Morgan City, LA while working for Sonar Subsea Services.
Anyway... I recently picked up a special fid and pusher to be able to splice double strand line... which I have no experience with yet. Plan on replacing my docklines. I'm still interested in his 'rope tricks', so I'll check it out if he's still there!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It seems spaghetti is the norm. often on boats. I agree, get ride of the dangling wires. Ring them and label the ends. You don't want to be scratching your head in a pinch.
This one thing I have learned from house wiring that I see transfers nicely to boats... labeling the circuits!
On land... I HATE IT when I'm trying to work on someone's house electrical system, go to their breakerbox and nothing it labeled! Not to mention the completely or partially homeowner built houses I've seen and the wiring... dare I call it a 'system'?... that's been done!
This boat seems to have fallen into that morass and I intend to pull it out!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris07732 View Post
There are a number of threads on this site about electric conversions. In particular, Captain Mike's blog: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: NEW YORK HARBOR SURVEY UPDATE is an excellent source of info. His info is better than most because he did it, has been using his boat around NYC for many years. I don't see many posts from Mike recently, but his email is on his blog.

Good luck with your project!!
Thanks! I'll be checking that out... but first I need to get off this computer and get moving on other more important thing!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:39   #27

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
First of all, congrats!

BTW, definitely give that shore power inlet a good going over, taking it apart and looking at the contacts. More boat fires start from bad corroded inlets than from anything else.
I second this statement about the AC. Learn what the ABYC specifications are for carrying AC 30 amp current and 15 or 20 amp branch circuits, and check to make sure that's what's carrying your electricity. If not, pull all the old stuff out and replace it ... properly. AC is just not something you want to fool around with. A dead battery sucks, a corroded prop or shaft sucks, but a bad AC connection can burn your boat down.

Also regarding your batteries...Get yourself a proper battery charger, one with smart technology that analyzes your batteries, and will keep them topped up. Them being killed is not good for them, but maybe you can get lucky and get a year or two out of them before you need to replace them. That will only happen with proper conditioning. I like Promariner's Prosport battery chargers. Get the one for the size and number of batteries you have and plug those batteries in and leave them plugged in until your boat is ready to accept them. Then install the charger into your boat and make it a permanent part of your electric system. I wired my battery chargers directly into the AC breaker panel.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 14:00   #28

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Wsmac, have really enjoyed reading your start up. I am familiar with your type of humor. I bought a 29 foot Chuck Munroe in early winter. Flipped it over in the shipyard to completely strip the hull down to bare wood. The California snow pack report stated last week that this is the largest snow pack since 1955. Gov. Brown declared that the "drought' is officially over last Friday. Which means I haven't got much done since I bought it.

My boat has almost no electrical systems on it. I have a way to shore charge my two small batteries. They are pretty much used for the bilge pumps. When my boat goes into the water it takes on water like a dried out old sponge. Pumps work hard that first hour. Then the boat "takes up" and wood swells up enough to close off water.

I want to thank Stu Jackson...for all the leads he provided in "electrical 101"...I am like you Wsmac...a lab rat. I have rebuilt 3 houses in the last 15 years. A lot of electrical rewiring. You are on the right track in pretty much everything you said. I like the looks of your boat. Modest and doable. I am sure she will be put back together in a proper way. You are a brave man. Keep the faith. Make sure you keep plenty of advil on hand for the end of the day.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 14:05   #29

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Yes, the Cape Dory. It is just an extra boat though, we still have the Cape George in So Cal for now, but plan on returning it to Mexico in the fall. The Cape Dory is pretty rough, but the sails are okay.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 17:43   #30

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

wsmac, I truly hope you will keep posting as you progress (or not, preferably the former). Believe it or not, yours was the best initial post (on any forum or blog) I've ever seen about what needs to be accomplished on a project boat, and it sounds as if you have the ability to do it. Keep it up and good fortune!

Tags
boat, project