Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2023, 09:49   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Filling gaps in teak & holly panels

Hi,

I took the handle off this small floor panel because another one had broken and I wanted to swap them. A year later and the teak planks have shrunk enough to develop quite a gap (perhaps because I exposed it to the air by removing the handle?)… I got a new handle and I want to fill the gap before replacing the handle and refinishing the piece with cetol.

Can anyone tell me what the best product or method is for this job? I was told by a woodworker not to use epoxy or anything too stiff because it could crack the whole frame if it expands again in the humidity of summer. I have some teak colored caulk on board, but that seems an odd thing to use under cetol. Anyone have any pointers? Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6836.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	273512Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6835.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	273513
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 10:01   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Filling gaps in teak & holly panels

I made the mistake of using epoxy on my tongue and groove front porch, and it cracked the wood when it shrank in the dry summer. I now have a bead of caulk, but it bulges in the wet winter.

In your case, the dimensions are much smaller, and you could probably get away with either caulk or epoxy putty.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 10:20   #3

Elastomeric wood filler color matched as closely to the teak as possible. If you match to the holly, you'll have an asymmetric look as that one piece of holly will be wider than the others.

An elastomeric wood filler should expand and contract with the wood.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 10:28   #4

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I would suggest that you get the whole piece into an area of higher humidity and let the wood swell back to its original dimension. Any filler will cause the piece to fit poorly when it expands back to its original size. Seal it once its has expanded .

Tags
panels, teak