Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2016, 09:10   #1

Boat: IP 40
Fillet table

Howdy Folks,

We're finally nearing the end of a very overdue Solar Arch installation. As part of that project we added a solid stainless rail around the cockpit along with stern seats. We've been planning to add a fillet/bait table since we don't really have a safe place to fillet fish and minimize the blood in the cockpit. I'm considering either a table that mounts on a rod holder or a rail mount option and would welcome feedback from folks who are actually cruising on which makes more sense.

As I see it, the rod mount would be simpler to pop on and off when needed but the rail mounts look for solid. We don't currently have rod mounts but the guy that did our arch included two in the project price if we want them. We will likely be using cuban yoyo style hand lines for trolling, so not sure we need rod holders, but that's where you...the voice of experience comes in. What would you do given a clean slate?

Rod Mount option - T10-313B

Rail mount option - DM_TABLES

Also I'd be curious about size. Looks like 20 inches and 30 inches long are fairly common options.

Thanks,
EB
Old 26-08-2016, 09:17   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Fillet table

I would get the rod holders as many start with Cuban yoyos and migrate to rods. As for the filleting table, I would not bother as it is too small. We do it on a side deck and if it's rolling a bit in the cockpit. The blood washes off fairly easily.

Old 26-08-2016, 10:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Definitely get rod holders, If nothing else they hold boat hooks, grills and all kinds of things can be mounted in a rod holder, but I suspect you will end up with a rod. Filleting table if you must, go with rail mount, but I would want one that dropped down flat and swung up for use, but I would say you need a 3 ft or bigger table to be of any real use with fiddles, a big fish like the 6' Wahoo I got the other day I filleted on the cockpit floor and washed the deck off with a scrub brush some dish soap and rinsed with the cockpit shower. With mounting the grill, the outboard when off the dinghy and likely a stern anchor on the rail, I don't have room for a table myself.
If you don't already have one, you want a real hot and cold cockpit shower, not the little sink spray hose my boat came with.

I wonder if a filleting table that mounted like our teak cockpit table would work? Just made from Starboard of course
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 07:47   #4

Boat: IP 40

Thanks folks, we took the advice here and had him go ahead and add the two rod holders. We're also holding off on the filet table until we've been out for a while to see if we need it or not.

A64, we're definitely planning to add hot water to the cockpit shower but I'm curious what you went with to replace the hand sprayer? Ours actually worked surprisingly well and with the new swim platform, we can even keep the cockpit dry while using it.

Thanks,
EB
Old 31-08-2016, 08:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Fillet table

EB, most showers are cheap plastic and are the exact ones used in RV's and put on the outside, usually right by the black water dump.
I used this one as it has a heavy 316 polished SS cover and a good SS valve, I'll show a Defender link, but Hopcar gave me a better price
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...272&id=1359806

I mounted it beside of the sprayer, deleted the sprayer and added a spigot in its place so I can connect a water hose to wash down the boat or connect to a pressure washer etc.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote