Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 08:11   #1

Boat: 28 sea ray sugar babe
fiberglass shine

I'm back. I just aquired oxcilike acid and removed stains.Works great. Stains and wax removed.Now I need to pick your storehouse of knowledge of products that will bring back shine..Do they make something that can be put on without an electric buffer?By the way I found oxcilike acid at west marine online no problem. I got this product suggestion from the forum.What I love about this forum is I get suggestions from boat owners that have experienced the subject at hand.Thanks Mates.
geraldbasford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:32   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I've been quite pleased with Starbrite's Polish with PTFE. Keeps the shine for quite a long time. BUT, if your gelcoat is oxidized or hazy, you'll need to take that off, first. If not too bad, then almost any cleaner wax will do (Starbrite's is fine, I've been using 3M's and it does fine, too). If pretty oxidized, then you're looking at rubbing compound and there's no way around it.

So, it is a 3-step process. You've step 1 done. Now, you've got to get your gelcoat nice and shiny. Then, you use the polish as the top coat and protectant.

It is a lot of work!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass