Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 17:56   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Fiberglass Repair

joburnet,i am more than happy to pass on advise on any aspect of of the repair.

i work with glass composites on a daily basis,as stated in my first post this is a very straight forward repair and should pose no problem,once you have removed the toerail.

in reference to the first post only the last sentence reffered to the hull,which will probably need respraying in polyeurathane to get a uniform finish.

please keep us all posted on your progress.

a
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 20:09   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Fiberglass Repair

So now that you have assimilated all of that, You can save some $$ by shopping your EPOXY from US Composites. Fillers and glass too. Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc. I prefer the 635 thin for best wet-out. I use a throw away brush for mixing and for smoothing the layers and coaxing out the air.

If you are handy and can see a way to form the lay-up to near net shape you will probably be OK. DO taper back the joint for a long lap to the old surface. Personally, I might choose to ignore the issue of replacing the core material in kind and fill it solid using glass or a filler of chopped glass and microballoons. Plan all of you moves and have your pre-cut, fitted cardboard forms and plasitic release film, weights, clamps, shoring etc. Have a box of disposable rubber (PVC) gloves and discard them often as they get gunked and too sticky to be useful.

I have been pretty successful at the cosmetic part deck repairs using diluted AWL GRIP mixed with flattening agents and a small roller. Your boat may have a patterned non-skid molded into the deck. This can be duplicated but you may need to ask a pro how its done. I suspect you might need to make a cast of an untouched area and transfer the pattern to the correct uncured resin mix. I decided on our boat to never use any 1-part paints. Any subsequent 2-part will attack the 1-part substrate. Your deck is probably gel coat unless you find it re-coated. If it is repainted you need to follow the paint maker's instructions to figure out what is there.

The killer for you is to make sure the deck joint and all of the toe rail bolts are totally water tight. You can live with minor cosmetics but leaks - no. If leaks let water into the core of the hull or deck there will be trouble.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass