Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2019, 21:09   #16

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Fiberglass blistering - still a problem on modern boats?

"The simple fact is that hull blistering is caused by the use of inferior materials and shoddy layup. As Lee Dana, former head of engineering at Bertram Yachts told the audience at the annual conference of the National Association of Marine Surveyors in 1985, hulls built with high quality resins don't blister. If builders want to build hulls that don't blister, all they have to do is "spend another ten dollars per gallon for resin," he said"

https://www.yachtsurvey.com/BlisterBlues.htm
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 21:41   #17

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

It seems the older boats don't have a problem as

goodoldvega says "Funny how all those old boats which have been around for 40+ years suddenly need to be completely re-engineered, isn't it?"
AND "Good Polyester resins are not completely free of blister issues but it usually so small a problem that it's a small issue easily handled at bailout"

roverhi says"Wouldn't be all that concerned with leaving the boat in the water. My '76 and '69 boat have been in the water continuously for their entire lives with little to no blisters"
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 09:43   #18

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

And the good news.....I,ve not heard of a boat sinking from blistering.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 10:33   #19

A well respected yard in my area said they do not recommend treating ANY blisters unless they were the size of your palm. It would be a waste of time and money since they come back. The problem is inherent in the construction materials they say and it is too late to change that.
So...at this time I plant to accept that and see how it goes. Someone mentioned in a post on this forum there has never been a boat that sunk from a blister condition but I have heard of structural blisters. I personally have no knowledge of a boat sinking or even having to be destroyed by any blister condition.
Right now, It just bothers me cosmetically. It's ugly to see.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 11:47   #20

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poche View Post
. I personally have no knowledge of a boat sinking or even having to be destroyed by any blister condition.

It bother me too.... we all want the cleanest hull and hate imperfections...

That was my Catalina 27 after soda blasting.... I spent forever grinding, rinsing, drying, filling, fairing before 5 coats of epoxy barrier coating and two coats of bottom paint.
When I soon haul out for winter I will see if the work above was a waste of time and money. I doubt it.... If a few blisters come back I will take care of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_134758.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	201605  
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 14:27   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I personally have no knowledge of a boat sinking or even having to be destroyed by any blister condition.
I agree with this statement... BUT when the time comes to sell her onward, those blisters will be a deterrent to a quick sale because most folks still believe that they are bad juju. They may be wrong, but it's their money and their prejudices that determine how they spend it.

Jim
Old 16-10-2019, 14:31   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You know blisters get bigger, they aren’t static, they eventually have to compromise the structural integrity of the hull.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 15:32   #23

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know blisters get bigger, they aren’t static, they eventually have to compromise the structural integrity of the hull.
this is sad and true...… blisters must be repaired ASAP... sometime year after year..... hard work and perseverance win!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 16:22   #24

Quote:
I don't know that. I have heard that and I tend to think they do but I have no direct experience owning a boat with a blister problem before. This is our fifth Cheoy Lee in the family since the middle sixites and the first with a blister issue. It was purchased in spite of the blisters because the price was right.
I do know a long time owner (40 years) of a late 60's Cheoy Lee with a blister problem. He claims they have stayed the same and has not dealt with them. Yes, it was making it difficult to sell the boat.
What I plan to do is deal with some largest or maybe just in a quadrant and see what happens.
Old 16-10-2019, 17:26   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Fiberglass blistering - still a problem on modern boats?

I bought my boat 5 years ago with some small blisters, it had been a Northern boat for a lot of its life “Maine”. Was going to get them fixed and the boat yard at the time told me to not bother, it had taken 27 years to get to 1/4”, wait until I have blisters to fix.
Well this year at the bottom job I noticed they had grown and some were now the size of a quarter, I guess in a year or two when I need the next bottom job, I’ll schedule time in a yard to get it fixed.

Two schools of thought from what I can tell, fix them as they appear, when they appear.
Or bite the bullet and pay to have the whole hull peeled, then build back up with glass and Epoxy, that I believe is supposed to be a permanent fix.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 17:44   #26

Quote:

Two schools of thought from what I can tell, fix them as they appear, when they appear.
Or bite the bullet and pay to have the whole hull peeled, then build back up with glass and Epoxy, that I believe is supposed to be a permanent fix.
This reputable yard that I mentioned earlier probably deals with hundreds of blister cases a year as well as interacting with other yards. I would tend to follow their advice especially since it goes against their profit motive. As opposed to my knowledge or yours of a boat situation or so.
Peeling the whole hull to me would be like cutting off your skin to slow down cancer. I know that's a bit graphic but peeling a hull doesn't seem to have been widely accepted.
It would be interesting to hear from yard operators on here about successful blister treatments.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:24   #27

Quote:
Well this year at the bottom job I noticed they had grown and some were now the size of a quarter, I guess in a year or two when I need the next bottom job, I’ll schedule time in a yard to get it fixed.

You don't have to peel the hull but you do have to make sure it is completely dry which can take months on the hard depending on climate. Then and only then do you put on a barrier coat.
I had a LOT of blisters on a boat the PO had said two yards at two previous haulouts just found a couple each time. The more you sand the bottom to get down to the original primer or all the way to the gelcoat, the more you find. I found one or two every day in several week of sanding....they show up as perrfect little circles. Poke 'em and the vinegar smelling stuff squirts out.
When you dig out those quarter sized blisters you'll find you have a much bigger dished out area to repair. I only put a barrier coat, (ALL 5 coats required - not the 2 or 3 a yard will put on) only on the keel and the rudder. Couldn't be sure the hull was completely dry and didn't want to seal in moisture. The yard guys were ready to just slap on a barrier coat and go.
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, fiberglass