Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 15:42   #1

Boat: Ferro cement Junk Rig (J.benford), 54 feet
Ferrocement and rust spots at scuppers

Hi, all
First, let me start by saying this: "I"m new". I bought my 54 foot J. benford designed and built ferro cement boat two and a half years ago with my ex- before he... Uh.. decided to be "special". He was the one with boating care/ use expertise, and is no longer involved. I decided to keep my beloved boat, and have jumped in with both feet. However, I have been learning as I go. Some of the lessons I have learned were "ok, this is NOT how we are supposed to do this.."

Last summer I noticed a bunch of rust around the scuppers. I chipped away all the rusted material and chippy cement (about the size of a dinner plate both inside and outside each scupper on each side), Used the rust stopping stuff as directed, Epoxied the holes (its ugly, but works), and re-painted. However, It seems that I must have done something wrong, because I again have a few rust spots. Nothing like it was when i initially "fixed" the holes, but a spot or two at each scupper on the outside of the boat.

So what is my next step? Re-chip these out, re rust-stop and epoxy etc? Is there some step that I missed? Should I have done something differently?

I'm poor as poor can be right now, so I am in "make due with what I have" mode. however, I will sacrifice more food so that my adored boat does not have problems down the road.

Cheers,
Andie
theblackhull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro, men