Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 13:39   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Fein Multimaster for Removing Hatches?

I'm coming to the time of season where I go through removing and resealing hatches. I've used flexible blades before and after hours and hours of cutting you can get a hatch out. I'm thinking a Fein may be the ticket. Does it have a thin attachment that I could use to cut carefully between the hatch and deck? I'm also going to use my rotozip with a wire brush to remove the old caulking from the aluminum hatch when I have it up.

Thanks!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 13:56   #2

Honestly Dog, I use my multimaster in more ways then I thought possible. If you buy it you won't be unhappy, great tool.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 13:57   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
If your problem is one of getting the old caulking to release then you might want to look into this stuff. I've used it and so have several of my friends, it really does work and with minimal effort.

While I have and love my Multimaster, a can of this goop is a LOT less expensive.

http://www.marineformula.com/

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 15:41   #4

Boat: Cooper 416
Feinest tool ever made
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 17:39   #5

My son just bought a similar type saw made by Dremel for $99 at Home Depot. I tried it, and it works great. How does it compare to the Fein tool?

Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 20:28   #6

They are OK but not great. I tend to buy top end tools, my time is worth way more then the aggravation of a lousy tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
My son just bought a similar type saw made by Dremel for $99 at Home Depot. I tried it, and it works great. How does it compare to the Fein tool?

Marc
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 22:38   #7

Pretty good review, and 1/3 the price.
Dremel 1.5 Amp Multi-Max Oscillating Kit - 6300-01 - Tool-Rank.com - Consumer Tool Reviews -

Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 22:49   #8

Boat: Farrier f27
You'll maybe have to compare them side-by-side. I've used the Fein tool for years and the thing seems to be when you need it - you need it. It just works where other tools don't. I'm not at all happy with the cost of the wood blades ($45-$55) so if Dremel has come up with an equal alternative, that'd be wonderful.

Joli's point is right on - time is money.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:47   #9

I'll try the Debond solution first. If it works there will be less risk of gelcoat chips and gouges around the hatch which always occur from mechanical removal. It also means I could potentially multitask, removing several hatches at once. Anything has to be better than the previous method of cutting and cutting and cutting away.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:55   #10
Eternal Member

Schoonerdog,

If you go the Debond route also pick up a set of the plastic wedges to help. The last time I checked, their website was a bit screwed up when it came time to buy. I think I ended up just calling them. While on their website take a look at the demo videos.

Neither myself or my friends have used the product on hatches but we have used it on windows and portlights. My neighbor removed his silicone windows on a Sabre 28 in about 10 min per window. You first score the sealant/caulk with a blade, spray, wait about 5 min, apply a little upward pressure with the wedges and spray one more time. After about 5-10 min more they should pry off without too much work.

As to the Dremel version of the Fein tool, I looked at them but they weigh just a fraction of the weight of the Multimaster. I figured that they'd be OK for a small job but not for the kind of intense labor that I use the tool for. Also, along the same lines, I see that Sears is now selling their version. I've not had an opportunity to physically see one yet.

Rich
Old 02-06-2009, 10:49   #11

thanks Rich,

Would some place like home depot have plastic wedges?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:43   #12
Eternal Member

Actually, Schoonerdog

The Debond folks sell a set of 4 for a couple of bucks. I know I sound like I work for them (I don't) but the stuff is so neat I can't help it. It's almost like the spray turns the caulk brittle while shrinking it away from the edges it was supposed to bond to. Like I posted earlier, watch the demo videos and read some of the feedback on their site. By the way, they are fast. All of us that placed orders usually had the stuff in the mailbox a few days later.

If you try it, let me know what you think. I first learned of it on a Cabo Rico board.

Rich
Old 08-06-2009, 08:06   #13

debond really works!

I'm amazed at this stuff. I'd would take a good solid 4 hours of cutting and prying to get a hatch out before using a flexible knife, and then quite a bit of time cleaning the hatch and rim. But with this a couple of applications and about 15 minutes and some light scoring and the hatch was out. Even if I went with the Fein I'm sure I would have had some gelcoat chips and it wouldn't have been half this easy. Great stuff! It used to take about two full days to do two hatches, removing, cleaning, prepping the cutout again (I put an epoxy filler into the hatch opening before I place the hatch in again to help prevent any water penetration), taping, etc. Now I think I could do four hatches in a good solid day of work and be half as tired. It even has a scarily pleasant smell (citrus?).

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion, it really worked very well.
Old 01-07-2009, 21:59   #14

just wanted to pass on this note as well, a friend whose very knowledgeable about all things boats passed me by while I was working on removing my hatch. I mentioned how well the debond was working and he asked to use it. In 15 minutes he came back and exclaimed how great it was. I thought he was just trying to remove some tape residue. I then walked by his boat a little bit later and saw all of his fixed ports were removed, around 7 of them. I asked him how his project was going and how he removed them. "I just used your stuff to do it", in the 15 minutes that he borrowed the can he had managed to loosen all of his ports and remove them. Again, I'm very impressed.