Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 23:48   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Favourite way of tracking boat refurb project

Hi all,

I am counting down the days until I move aboard. Only 94 days to go.

The list of projects to be completed is... daunting.

I have the skills, materials and tools for all the known jobs, but I just feel like I have no handle on the list as a whole. I've tried various ways of mapping this next couple of months, but nothing, so far, feels right.

What do people here use to plan/track/record their boat projects?

(I am not looking to blog this or anything, just to be clear, this is for my own use, so something online is all very well, but only as a tool of convenience, not some kind of social media device.)

Matt
Old 17-08-2019, 01:04   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Favourite way of tracking boat refurb project

I write them down then tick them off. I also have a separate list of "maybe one day" and another list of things I need to order. Pretty low tech except I do it on Goodnotes
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 01:10   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

https://www.mindmeister.com/

The jobs list will never be done though..... A cruising boat is a verb, not a noun, you don't "have" a cruising boat, it's something you do
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 01:23   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Simples.... take one sheet of A4..... write all outstanding jobs on it ( OK so you may need more than one sheet.... I always have four or five.... engine/rig/saloon/radio/galley...etc .. its a moveable feast).

When you have completed 75% of the jobs on the sheet of A4...

Transfer the remainder to a new sheet of A4.... fill rest of page with the new jobs you have discovered....

Repeat as required....

This is not a joke...

One thing .... never delay departure until all jobs are done or you will never go....

Another thing... keep prioritising your list when you refresh it....

My 'rejoining the boat next week' list is currently down to half a page...
Old 17-08-2019, 01:29   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Paper and pencil works.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 01:40   #6

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

I use "Color Note" ap on my phone for purchasing ie hardware store, chandlery, jaycar, stainless, auto accessories, etc

I use hardcover bound notebooks (actually my old survey field books) and still have them to recall the work I have done in the past they are dated job lists so I reckon that is still the best option. I am using book 4 at the mo.
Old 17-08-2019, 01:54   #7

Hmmm... lots of paper based approaches here. I am not sure if the problem is me or the size of the lists, but I am finding paper too hard. In part because each simple project involves so many steps, resources, stages.

So, take the fridge as an example.

I have to build a fridge box... ok.

Before the build I had to run the dimensions past my refrigeration supplier to make sure the proposed box would suit the equipment.

So I had to get dimensions right by measuring down at the boat. Now that I have confirmed the dimensions with the fridge guy, I have to build the mold and check that I can actually get the box into the boat once built. (Yeah, I've fallen for THAT one once.) And the mold has to be built at home in the garage and taken down to the boat BEFORE I start glassing.

To build the mold, it turns out I need a number of tools that are down on the boat. So that project goes on hold until the next boat visit (40 km round trip.) And I need to remember to bring those tools back. Where do I record that info so I don't forget...?

Etc... etc....

I CAN, in theory, do all this on paper, but all it takes is me leaving a critical bit of paper at the boat, or at home, and I am stuck on that project...

I like the idea of something software based, possibly in the cloud, which I can access and update from home and the boat. It almost feels like one of those project management tools that seem so popular, which is ironic because I've resisted them in 30 years of management, only to find I feel like I need one now.

Conachair, I hadn't considered a mind map... I can see how it might work. I've used them as a teaching tool in the past... I think of them as a bit too graphical for such a large list of projects... but maybe a mind map for each project would work..... I'll give it a go.

Matt
Old 17-08-2019, 02:05   #8

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Well, at least one previous Australian government used a very large white board so if they could get away with it you should manage.[emoji23][emoji23]
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 02:23   #9
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

Conachair, I hadn't considered a mind map... I can see how it might work. I've used them as a teaching tool in the past... I think of them as a bit too graphical for such a large list of projects... but maybe a mind map for each project would work..... I'll give it a go.
Evernote is another fantastic boat resource imho, as you go along just keep putting stuff in there, fuel filter size, reminder for tools next time you leave home, serial numbers of kit etc - everything! Then next time you pass a shop and see something you'll have all the dims etc on your phone.Just keep putting everything in there, i use it for passwords as well, encrypted of course
That & mind mapping I find extremely useful, mind maps are great for zooming in and out from the 'big picture' to what nuts & bolts are needed etc - really helps to focus on just one task rather than feeling a bit swamped with the number of tasks.

Also, google does a voice recognition thing where you you can say 'OK google' the 'note to self......bolt is 50mm long' and it will save that note to evernote so when you are upside down under the engine you can write notes. Works pretty well but you do get some wierd text sometimes

Lots of stuff online about using evernote to help with getting things done as well >>
https://zapier.com/blog/how-to-use-evernote-for-GTD/
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 02:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Well, at least one previous Australian government used a very large white board so if they could get away with it you should manage.[emoji23][emoji23]
That brings back memories.
Old 17-08-2019, 02:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Evernote is another fantastic boat resource ....

Thank you, I will check that out after playing with a mind map. So far, the mind map is working better than I expected. But I think I'll have to setup a computer on the boat, it does not work in a practical way on my phone. That's no drama, I already have a boat PC, one of those Beelink micro pcs, I'd removed it because of all the dust. I'll put it back.

That & mind mapping I find extremely useful, mind maps are great for zooming in and out from the 'big picture' to what nuts & bolts are needed etc - really helps to focus on just one task rather than feeling a bit swamped with the number of tasks.

Yep, I am starting to see what you mean.

Also, google does a voice recognition thing where you you can say 'OK google' the 'note to self......bolt is 50mm long' and it will save that note to evernote so when you are upside down under the engine you can write notes. Works pretty well but you do get some wierd text sometimes

My Iphone does that pretty well too, though people laugh at me when I talk to it because apparently I sound like I am talking to an idiot.

Lots of stuff online about using evernote to help with getting things done as well >>
https://zapier.com/blog/how-to-use-evernote-for-GTD/
Added to my list, thank you.
Old 17-08-2019, 02:39   #12

Quote:
Hmmm... lots of paper based approaches here. I am not sure if the problem is me or the size of the lists, but I am finding paper too hard. In part because each simple project involves so many steps, resources, stages.

So, take the fridge as an example.

I have to build a fridge box... ok.

Before the build I had to run the dimensions past my refrigeration supplier to make sure the proposed box would suit the equipment.

So I had to get dimensions right by measuring down at the boat. Now that I have confirmed the dimensions with the fridge guy, I have to build the mold and check that I can actually get the box into the boat once built. (Yeah, I've fallen for THAT one once.) And the mold has to be built at home in the garage and taken down to the boat BEFORE I start glassing.

To build the mold, it turns out I need a number of tools that are down on the boat. So that project goes on hold until the next boat visit (40 km round trip.) And I need to remember to bring those tools back. Where do I record that info so I don't forget...?

Etc... etc....

I CAN, in theory, do all this on paper, but all it takes is me leaving a critical bit of paper at the boat, or at home, and I am stuck on that project...

I like the idea of something software based, possibly in the cloud, which I can access and update from home and the boat. It almost feels like one of those project management tools that seem so popular, which is ironic because I've resisted them in 30 years of management, only to find I feel like I need one now.

Matt
Ah.....
Not suggesting loose leafed A4... I was suggesting an A4 book...

What you need is not a book but books.... one per project .... available from Officeworks from 30 cents upwards... this little number appeals.. https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...4-page-cch6239
Keep all complicated projects in dedicated books....
Old 17-08-2019, 02:47   #13

Quote:
Hmmm...

...... So that project goes on hold until the next boat visit (40 km round trip.) ......

Matt
I dream of 40km boat visits.... ( not really) .....

For me its a 20km round trip to the local shop...

The boat? a bit further than that.........
Old 17-08-2019, 02:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Ah.....
Not suggesting loose leafed A4... I was suggesting an A4 book...

What you need is not a book but books.... one per project .... available from Officeworks from 30 cents upwards... this little number appeals.. https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...4-page-cch6239
Keep all complicated projects in dedicated books....
Certainly sounds better... but I just KNOW I will leave one behind.
Old 17-08-2019, 02:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I dream of 40km boat visits.... ( not really) .....

For me its a 20km round trip to the local shop...

The boat? a bit further than that.........
Well, you are kinda careless with where you leave it. Just saying.

Tags
boat, project, Refurb