Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2019, 03:15   #16

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Favourite way of tracking boat refurb project

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

So, take the fridge as an example.

I have to build a fridge box... ok.

Before the build I had to run the dimensions past my refrigeration supplier to make sure the proposed box would suit the equipment.

So I had to get dimensions right by measuring down at the boat. Now that I have confirmed the dimensions with the fridge guy, I have to build the mold and check that I can actually get the box into the boat once built. (Yeah, ..........
Matt

I know where you are coming from Matt.

I'm halfway through construction/installation of my fridge/freezer but I switched to other projects as I accepted the yacht could go into the water without a fridge/freezer.

But, like you, I realized everything that had to be done had to be listed. Then I had to prioritize the list in the order that they had to be done otherwise the installation of the fridge would become impossible. (From memory there are 22 items on the list)

Of course if we were engineers we would use CPM
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 03:39   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Hmmm... lots of paper based approaches here. ..........

I like the idea of something software based, ........

Matt
Err... MS Project???
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 03:51   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I know where you are coming from Matt.

I'm halfway through construction/installation of my fridge/freezer but I switched to other projects as I accepted the yacht could go into the water without a fridge/freezer.

But, like you, I realized everything that had to be done had to be listed. Then I had to prioritize the list in the order that they had to be done otherwise the installation of the fridge would become impossible. (From memory there are 22 items on the list)

Of course if we were engineers we would use CPM
Yeah, I can't imagine building from scratch. I think my head would explode.

I'd forgotten CPM, geez.. I seem to remember that being taught in the 90's management courses I attended... or was that TQM...?

But no, I am not yet THAT desperate.
Old 17-08-2019, 03:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Err... MS Project???
There's another blast from the past. Do they still make that...? Hang on...

Wow, they do! Yeah/nah, that starts to feel a bit like work too. Errrghhh. Gant charts.

I mean, ironically, they probably are what I need, but I just cannot do that to myself, at least, not without being paid a LOT of money, and I don't think anyone is going to pay me to refurbish my boat. Sigh.
Old 17-08-2019, 03:54   #20

Getting somewhere with the mind maps though...

Trying bubble.us, which is one I've used with my students in the past.
Old 17-08-2019, 03:56   #21

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I use very basic app that came on my tablet, I'm sure most phones have them too. A one line note after one line note then tap the box when done and it greys out. The lists are so long you have to start a fresh file and manually transfer the uncompleted tasks which is a pain. Dates and filters would be nice.
Old 17-08-2019, 04:05   #22

Quote:
Yeah, I can't imagine building from scratch. I think my head would explode.

I'd forgotten CPM, geez.. I seem to remember that being taught in the 90's management courses I attended... or was that TQM...?

But no, I am not yet THAT desperate.

Well I think I'll use a CPM chart as it will document very clearly what I must do and what order I must follow. It will be a very simple chart as I have everything ready to go: there will be no float.

AND my first task I will tackle in the next few days (weather permitting). My fridge/freezer rests on top of the starboard fuel tank. The fuel tanks are aluminum and they are sitting on top of the "floor bearers" which is a no, no (because of condensation/corrosion). I have to lift the tank and Sikaflex plastic strips to the tank where the bearers are. (Only 21 matters to attend to after that!)
Old 17-08-2019, 05:49   #23

Use Trello. It's a kanban style (like post-it notes on a board) to do list and planner. Create a card for each item and move from stack to stack (to be done... doing.... done etc).

You can add photos, comments and links in each card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trello.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	197992  
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 06:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Use Trello. It's a kanban style (like post-it notes on a board) to do list and planner. Create a card for each item and move from stack to stack (to be done... doing.... done etc).

You can add photos, comments and links in each card.

I just had a quick look at Trello and it seems you'd need to use CPM in conjunction with Trello? (Of course CPM defines the "activities", their relationship to each other and the required sequence of "activities")
Old 17-08-2019, 06:25   #25

No you don't. Trello can be used on it's own. I have 5 or 6 boards - Gear, Maintenance, Gear list and so on. For a project you can break it by function (electrical, plumbing etc) or by area of the boat (aft cabin, galley, rudder) and each board has a list of cards. Each card is a task or job. You have a list for "to do", "doing", "done" , "waiting" etc and just move the card from list to list.

you can use it on the web but I also use it on the ipad and phone and it's all synced automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I just had a quick look at Trello and it seems you'd need to use CPM in conjunction with Trello? (Of course CPM defines the "activities", their relationship to each other and the required sequence of "activities")
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 07:11   #26

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I'm not a fan of pencil and paper, I like to be able to prioritize projects and insert lines. I use Numbers on my MacBook, and Excel when I had a Windows machine.

Being able to easily resign priorities and then reorder the list was very important to me. Items can be changed from priority 1 (things to do ASAP) to priority 3 (needs to be done before cruising, but not right away) very easily.

The key is to not make everything priority 1. Be brutal on your priority list so you can keep from being overwhelmed.

If I had a group of projects that were somehow related, for example if I had a large order from Defender being shipped and all of these projects were awaiting parts to be finished, then I might put those together and shade them so it was easy to tell they went together. Ditto for projects to be completed during a haul out.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 07:38   #27

Yellow legal pad. Notes to self, things to buy, sketches etc too. It changes daily. The first list gets reprioritized fast due to fixing one thing that discovers 3 more related to that thing!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 07:59   #28

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I CAN, in theory, do all this on paper, but all it takes is me leaving a critical bit of paper at the boat, or at home, and I am stuck on that project...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Matt, put it ALL in a ring binder or better yet a spiral bound notebook, which they even make with separators for different projects.

When I was in business, I only had to carry ONE spiral bound notebook with me whenever or where ever I traveled. Of course, gotta be careful when they start getting too full up. Ring binders are sometimes better 'cuz you can add or subtract pages and have slots for loose papers in the covers.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 08:32   #29

Boat: Manta 42

I use Trello as well. For big projects I use the description field to keep track of subtasks, thoughts, progress, etc. I try to keep the lists simple: "Important", "Nice to have", "Doing", and "Done".
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 08:36   #30

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Don't. Lol

There is almost no way to predict it. Just hunker down with your money and get to work.

You'll get to the end when you're finished and you'll finish faster by spending your time working instead of tracking your work.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, project, Refurb