Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2019, 12:56   #121

Boat: Tartan 3700
Re: Favourite way of tracking boat refurb project

Forget all the paper and use something that you can edit as you go, track, rank, and categorize and even set up sub-steps and sub-sub steps under one project. Its called Nirvana and its cloud-based and stays undated across all devices including your phone. You can download the app to any device and try it out. If you don't like it the use paper. https://nirvanahq.com/

Good luck!
Hardalee53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:43   #122
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
We use a spreadsheet. The advantage for us is we add and delete tasks as things evolve while keeping items sorted by priority using the ABCs and 123s method. A-critical, B- important, C-long-term. Then prioritize the order to be completed, 1-2-3, etc. You can do it on paper, of course, but Rewriting three hundred items gets challenging.
Started another Thread, but just found this one, so will add input here

Have been using spreadsheets like you for years on managing Superyacht refits and operations, but with a big team to manage on bi-weekly meetings.... and it was a job!.

Now I want something, that is more flexible for my own boat, that will help me keep track of changing priorities as this is supposed to be fun.
I just dont want important tasks falling thru the cracks!

Like GILow I'm looking for a proactive software reminder and organizer.

Testing this Microsoft one now, which synchs well with my email organizer

Curious what others who have experience using software planners think of this or have another suggestions
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:54   #123

I discovered an app called AnyList a bit ago. It integrates with my Echo Dot, so I can simply tell Alexa to add an item to any of a number of lists I’ve created. The lists synch across several devices, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and can be shared with others. Makes it handy for when I’m at the grocery, and the better half remembers something. She can add it to the list from her location, and it shows up immediately on my copy of the list. The grocery list also automatically sorts by category (dairy, produce, etc) and you can move an item to a different part of the list should you want to by dragging and dropping, so can easily be manually sorted as well. There are different options to deal with completed tasks by either crossing them off, or deleting them. There is also a meal planner that allows you to create a meal plan to a calendar. You can add multiple menu items per day, and when you drill down to the recipe, you can add items from the ingredients list directly to your grocery list, and once there, it automatically shows the quantity and when and for what that item will be used for. Needles to say, I’m very pleased, as is my tech challenged better half, as she finds it simple and beneficial to use. Hope this helps!!
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 15:04   #124

Boat: HR352

I am entirely familiar with the concept of forgetting bits and pieces, leaving the list behgind forgetting the notepad etc...

it is also too artificial to be using software and pm methods working on your pet project...

I use paper lists, and scraps of paper....which I then photograph with my phone, these are then saved automatically to google photos so I can find them even if I do not have the piece of paper. I think it is accepted that writing the note will help to imprint the information on your mind better than typing on a machine.. also easier for sketches measurements etc, I photo serial numbers and almost everything that I go at which often helps in the most unexpected ocassions...
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:15   #125

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Testing this Microsoft one now, which synchs well with my email organizer

First and of critical importance, DO NOT BE LATE WITH YOUR TPS REPORTS! *grin*

As a heads up, Microsoft bought the company who built the product that has become ToDo. We can expect over the next couple of years that Tasks in Outlook and features in OneNote and ToDo will shift around and that OneNote and ToDo will probably merge.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:24   #126

The new Microsoft To Do list is based on Wunderlist which they purchased a couple of years back. The founders of Wunderlist have recently offered to buy it back from MS.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/8/20...hristian-reber
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 09:44   #127

Boat: 1987 Liberty 38

Late reply here but I think Google Keep is awesome and simple and on all my devices and I can add to lists by saying, "OK Google... Put a dozen 10-24 stainless 1/2 screws on my Shopping List" and it is there on my phone when I go to the store.

7 Reasons to Actually Start Using Google Keep - Google's note-taking app is the best free program you're not using and perhaps never knew existed in the first place.
GadgetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 13:52   #128

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGeek View Post
Late reply here but I think Google Keep is awesome and simple and on all my devices and I can add to lists by saying, "OK Google... Put a dozen 10-24 stainless 1/2 screws on my Shopping List" and it is there on my phone when I go to the store.

7 Reasons to Actually Start Using Google Keep - Google's note-taking app is the best free program you're not using and perhaps never knew existed in the first place.

It is clever, but I couldn’t see how I could use it for more complex task lists.

Great for a shopping list, particularly as you wander around the boat asking what else you’ll need before you head to the hardware shop.
Old 14-01-2020, 11:53   #129

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Simple Excel spreadsheet that can be used on the desktop or phone. I print out a copy to mark up when at the boat if I don't want to spend the time using the spreadsheet on the phone. Tasks are grouped by subject and have priorities. The priorities are (1) before splash, (2) before or after splash, (3) for whenever I get to it, and blank for completed. The minimum temp column relates to min temps for resins or paints.

Being in Excel, I just need to use the sort function to make lists by functional area, by priority, or by what I can do if it is cold. It's easy to add associated tasks with the numbering system or to add notes with related info.

Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 12:29   #130

You can't attach photos, documents or links, which are needed when managing stuff on a boat. I would never use Excel for managing tasks but then again I have a unnatural hate forthe app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkswrecks View Post
Simple Excel spreadsheet that can be used on the desktop or phone. I print out a copy to mark up when at the boat if I don't want to spend the time using the spreadsheet on the phone. Tasks are grouped by subject and have priorities. The priorities are (1) before splash, (2) before or after splash, (3) for whenever I get to it, and blank for completed. The minimum temp column relates to min temps for resins or paints.

Being in Excel, I just need to use the sort function to make lists by functional area, by priority, or by what I can do if it is cold. It's easy to add associated tasks with the numbering system or to add notes with related info.

B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 13:03   #131

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
You can't attach photos, documents or links, which are needed when managing stuff on a boat. I would never use Excel for managing tasks but then again I have a unnatural hate forthe app.
Sure you can. Or even put pics in 'comment' boxes so they are not crowding your page until you put your cursor on them.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 13:06   #132

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms95835 View Post
I discovered an app called AnyList a bit ago. It integrates with my Echo Dot, so I can simply tell Alexa to add an item to any of a number of lists I’ve created. The lists synch across several devices, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and can be shared with others. Makes it handy for when I’m at the grocery, and the better half remembers something. She can add it to the list from her location, and it shows up immediately on my copy of the list. The grocery list also automatically sorts by category (dairy, produce, etc) and you can move an item to a different part of the list should you want to by dragging and dropping, so can easily be manually sorted as well. There are different options to deal with completed tasks by either crossing them off, or deleting them. There is also a meal planner that allows you to create a meal plan to a calendar. You can add multiple menu items per day, and when you drill down to the recipe, you can add items from the ingredients list directly to your grocery list, and once there, it automatically shows the quantity and when and for what that item will be used for. Needles to say, I’m very pleased, as is my tech challenged better half, as she finds it simple and beneficial to use. Hope this helps!!
"I simply tell Alexa"
"grocery list also automatically sorts by category"
"better half remembers something. She can add it to the list from her location, and it shows up immediately on my copy of the list"

Finally! A clever and USEFUL listing app integrated with Alexa. I could see using this (for shopping maybe, not sure about boat projects).
Old 14-01-2020, 13:15   #133

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkswrecks View Post

This is a nice checklist but some functions are missing such as, estimates of time to do something and this translating into when it will get done. You know what has to be done before splash but how do you know if it will be done by a date?

Dependencies are also not easily visible other than your own priority setting, such as "meet with painter" must occur before "buy paint" or "painting starts"

Look, many people have used excel to manage projects since it was invented because it is easy and can be made to look pretty. But is it not good for projections and scheduling.

For my bigger projects I use a Project Management tool (mostly because I am comfortable with it)
Old 01-06-2020, 03:14   #134

We've recently switched from paper to a digital solution and to be honest I wouldn't look back. It did take me some convincing but after doing much research and trialing a few options, we ended up going with the company SeaLogs. They specialize in digital logbooks but we got it with the module called Inventory and Tasks.
It's allowed us to record all of our Parts, Equipment, Dry dock daily tasks, and Inventory items in there, then we set up recurring tasks alongside items.
I'm a whiteboard type of guy, but it's been working great so far and certainly helped us manage our first Dry Dock period, and I have been enjoying the logbook component too. Worth checking out though. I'll add the link below
www.sealogs.com
BoatieUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, project, Refurb