Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2019, 03:14   #46

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Favourite way of tracking boat refurb project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
- the list is never finished but that should not stop one sailing.
Well, yes and no. One of the list items is to replace the standing rigging.

- keep prioritizing and highlight safety related tasks
I dunno... is having a floor in the boat a safety item?

- separate the nice to do items
Separate...? I haven't even added them yet.

- don’t loose sight of regular maintenance
I DREAM of reaching that point.
Old 19-08-2019, 10:19   #47

I use post it notes and write each job that needs to be done and put them under a grouping on the wall “to do” and move them to another grouping “complete” once done. It’s old school, but it lays out everything needed to be done, lets you pick easier tasks to complete first if you want and it gives a huge sense of accomplishment when most of your stickies have been moved to the other side of the wall
captainbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 15:04   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbly View Post
I use post it notes and write each job that needs to be done and put them under a grouping on the wall “to do” and move them to another grouping “complete” once done. It’s old school, but it lays out everything needed to be done, lets you pick easier tasks to complete first if you want and it gives a huge sense of accomplishment when most of your stickies have been moved to the other side of the wall

This is a good technique. I did the same when building my last house and it worked well. I even kept the completed notes for a while as a kind of booster to keep me going.

Unfortunately, like the notepad and any other physical medium, they are not practical because I am so far from the boat.
Old 19-08-2019, 15:35   #49

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
This is a good technique. I did the same when building my last house and it worked well. I even kept the completed notes for a while as a kind of booster to keep me going.

Unfortunately, like the notepad and any other physical medium, they are not practical because I am so far from the boat.

Not practical for me.... don't have a big enough wall.......
Old 19-08-2019, 15:38   #50

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeuel View Post
Google Keep is a great resource. Let's you create lists with checkboxes, take photos inside the app (which I use all the time for serial/model numbers, 'before' pictures when I'm disassembling something, and to see things in areas I can't access), and clip webpages. I have different tags for different categories on the boat, but all of them also get the "Boat" tag. Free, synchronizes across all your devices.

I’ve been using this to great advantage with my boat and other parts of my life. Helps to coordinate my moments of inspiration, ongoing issues, pics, files, and more across platforms. Also, I share different folders with different people- crew can see “boat” folder. On my phone it’s great for organizing bookmarks, on my pc spreadsheets, all in a common program/app.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 19:30   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
I’ve been using this to great advantage with my boat and other parts of my life. Helps to coordinate my moments of inspiration, ongoing issues, pics, files, and more across platforms. Also, I share different folders with different people- crew can see “boat” folder. On my phone it’s great for organizing bookmarks, on my pc spreadsheets, all in a common program/app.

It’s next on my list to check. Looking forward to having the time to do so.
Old 19-08-2019, 20:02   #52
rbk

Boat: T37

I have an electronic list of all projects encountered, with mission critical at the top, engine, rigging, electrical other systems and cosmetics. The top ten go on a small whiteboard at the boat with small notes, ie bring xx tool home etc. I snap a quick photo of this before leaving the boat, now I have an exact copy to take with me. When a project gets completed it goes in the log book with date and engine hours if applicable. The log book is the completed items list that can be used for preventative maintenance plan. I winterized each year which makes it easy to do the ‘regular stuff’ oil changes, impeller, rig tension, water system flush etc.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 20:59   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I have an electronic list of all projects encountered, with mission critical at the top, engine, rigging, electrical other systems and cosmetics. The top ten go on a small whiteboard at the boat with small notes, ie bring xx tool home etc. I snap a quick photo of this before leaving the boat, now I have an exact copy to take with me. When a project gets completed it goes in the log book with date and engine hours if applicable. The log book is the completed items list that can be used for preventative maintenance plan. I winterized each year which makes it easy to do the ‘regular stuff’ oil changes, impeller, rig tension, water system flush etc.

Which “package” do you use for the electronic list?
Old 19-08-2019, 21:00   #54

Another vote for Trello. It is the best simple option for any computer related system - it can be as easy as a post it note, or a bit more complex if you need to log additional data for a task such as photos of a job, documents, import Google Docs, etc. I can populate a Trello board with 50 tasks in about 2 mins. It's not complicated and very very quick to use, with a well thought out UI.

It's not a full blown project management system, but that's not the point of it. Asana and those like it would be a nightmare, I feel like you would spend more time in there then in the boat But if you are a PM nerd use whatever floats yer boat.
tworail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 23:43   #55
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Which “package” do you use for the electronic list?
Excel, part of the office “package”
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 00:05   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Excel, part of the office “package”
Gotcha. Yes, I am using that already, but I kept running into trouble with remaking the lists. Probably a sign I laid it all out wrong at the start.
Old 20-08-2019, 02:15   #57

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I've used projectlibre, an opensource ms project clone that's a lot simpler and great for keeping things in sequence. I save the datafile to a cloud drive so I can open it and update it from the boat or home. It requires a somewhat structured approach to work in some ways, but I see that as a benefit. Every month I update the baseline and save a new version of the file. I'll have good laugh at projected finish dates in the early versions once splashed!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 03:19   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I'll have good laugh at projected finish dates in the early versions once splashed!
I hear you. Sometimes I look at my early Cruisers Forum posts and cringe at how far off my dates have been.
Old 20-08-2019, 03:23   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Use Trello. It's a kanban style (like post-it notes on a board) to do list and planner. Create a card for each item and move from stack to stack (to be done... doing.... done etc).

You can add photos, comments and links in each card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I use Trello as well. For big projects I use the description field to keep track of subtasks, thoughts, progress, etc. I try to keep the lists simple: "Important", "Nice to have", "Doing", and "Done".
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworail View Post
Another vote for Trello. It is the best simple option for any computer related system - it can be as easy as a post it note, or a bit more complex if you need to log additional data for a task such as photos of a job, documents, import Google Docs, etc. I can populate a Trello board with 50 tasks in about 2 mins. It's not complicated and very very quick to use, with a well thought out UI.

It's not a full blown project management system, but that's not the point of it. Asana and those like it would be a nightmare, I feel like you would spend more time in there then in the boat But if you are a PM nerd use whatever floats yer boat.
Gotta say, Trello is REALLY floating my boat.

Thank you B23iL23, longhorn and tworail, I think you've found just what I needed.

Old 20-08-2019, 03:57   #60

It's good isn't it. I have 8 boards for everything from maintenance, to cruising plan, boat documentation and even a "whats stored where" list.

Add in reminders, links and photos and it's turned into a great tool for me.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, project, Refurb