Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2022, 06:35   #46

Re: Favorite Random Orbit Sander

Porter Cable makes a good one. Use it at work all the time.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 07:21   #47

Metabo is value for money.
Best one I used was a Rupes.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 08:01   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm sick of the one I have (Dewalt. Durable as hell, but not random, slow, and poor dust collection.)

What is fast and not Fein-expensive? Bosch seems to make some nice ones.

Corded preferred.
I have Porter-Cable very old and tough. Shop on line.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 08:11   #49

Boat: Tripp 56

Bottom sanding is absolutely the worst job on the boat, and I have been agonizing over this for decades. The Dewalt ROS seem to have a problem with the bearing that seizes up, disallowing the oscillating, and I am tired of dealing with replacing it. After many years of research, I finally went crazy and bought a Festool Drywall sander - the good one. I realise that most people will not even consider this, but I think if you consider forming a multi- person partnership to buy one, it would make sense. Especially considering it is only used once a year. I don't know how to describe it's performance, but it was like butter. Butta. I was afraid it might not work for this job, so I didn't want to rope anyone else into it incase it didn't work, but I think waiting a couple years for Festool to upgrade their original sander from rotary to oscillating was worth it, as the rotary would have been too hard to handle.
Coltrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 10:38   #50

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

This guy does a lot of testing.

Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 11:58   #51

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Rupes BR range is by far the best of them all.
Thrashed them for years boatbuilding and kitchen building..
The other brands all had problems.
Apart from new brushes, bulletproof!
Have their own excellent dust collector/vacuum as well.

https://www.wyatt.co.nz/shop/POWER+T...UBR109AES.html

https://www.wyatt.co.nz/shop/SALE/RU...UBR109AES.html
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 12:13   #52

Boat: dudley dix steel gaff schooner 60

https://www.rupes.com/

RUPES for ever, I still have one 40 years old, and one new. Important is the dust vacuum, I use a Festool Mini CTL
skipperdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 21:43   #53

Boat: One off 39ft 3 mast Junk Schooner

I've used Rupes for many years as a professional boat builder. I remain most satisfied with there products. https://www.rupes.com/
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 22:25   #54

Boat: Columbia 50

I use a stock dewalt 5” RO sander, hooked up to a ‘pro’ hose, to a small shop vac with a bag filter in it. I’ve had no issues for years, couldn’t find it recently, so bought a replacement, with variable speed, for all of $70. (This made my original turn up post haste, as usual, so now I have two.)

my one peeve is that I could stick my vac hose directly onto the old unit, where I had to get the stupid quick connect for the new one, but the new one does allow the hose to swivel.

Anyway, I just looked up the festool mentioned - $450. Unless it gives happy endings, I can’t see paying 6x more for a sander. How much better could it possibly sand, and how so? Is it faster? Wider RO motion (which would increase vibration, I would think). What makes a festool actually worth that kind of money?

Don’t get me wrong - At one point I was a pro finish carpenter - I know the value of precise, accurate tool where needed, but we’re talking sanding……

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6104A221-691E-4603-BB8D-C11689079E6A.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	258100  
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 22:31   #55
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
I use a stock dewalt 5” RO sander, hooked up to a ‘pro’ hose, to a small shop vac with a bag filter in it. I’ve had no issues for years, couldn’t find it recently, so bought a replacement, with variable speed, for all of $70. (This made my original turn up post haste, as usual, so now I have two.)

I just looked up the festool mentioned - $450. Unless it gives happy endings, I can’t see paying 6x more for a sander. How much better could it possibly sand, and how so? Is it faster? Wider RO motion (which would increase vibration, I would think). What makes a festool actually worth that kind of money?

Don’t get me wrong - At one point I was a pro finish carpenter - I know the value of precise, accurate tool where needed, but we’re talking sanding……

Matt
It will sand 10x faster. If you want that performance for less cost then the Bosch dual mode machines are available at half the cost.

The trick is that they switch to rotary mode for fast removal.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 01:52   #56

Boat: Jouët 37, 11,4m length

Quote:
I'm sick of the one I have (Dewalt. Durable as hell, but not random, slow, and poor dust collection.)

Corded preferred.
I never imagined that a sander could do such an efficient and comfortable job; I think the Festool is the best I've ever had, and ever since I started using it, I've never been able to tolerate any other type of orbital sander ever again. Now with the Chinese imitation, and always distrusting the result, I am sanding well but only God knows for how long. If you buy a Festool or a Mirka, you will use it for the next 20 years without problems.
There are a new generation of brushless as Mirka or Festool, Metabo and etc that cost 500 ; I got a chinnese one imitation for less of the halve, the trade name is Stayr but there are more, than looks like the same. This sander is amazing. I had a Festool, I love it and after 10 or more sanders I never thank in take another different trade name, but cost 600 euros. BTW with the brushless one I am happy and confortable.
dady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 02:14   #57

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrek View Post
Bottom sanding is absolutely the worst job on the boat, and I have been agonizing over this for decades. The Dewalt ROS seem to have a problem with the bearing that seizes up, disallowing the oscillating, and I am tired of dealing with replacing it. After many years of research, I finally went crazy and bought a Festool Drywall sander - the good one. I realise that most people will not even consider this, but I think if you consider forming a multi- person partnership to buy one, it would make sense. Especially considering it is only used once a year. I don't know how to describe it's performance, but it was like butter. Butta. I was afraid it might not work for this job, so I didn't want to rope anyone else into it incase it didn't work, but I think waiting a couple years for Festool to upgrade their original sander from rotary to oscillating was worth it, as the rotary would have been too hard to handle.
I have one of those and I have been curious how it would work on a contoured shapes. I have been using to sand a bunch a plywood and it was great.
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 02:37   #58

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:

my one peeve is that I could stick my vac hose directly onto the old unit, where I had to get the stupid quick connect for the new one, but the new one does allow the hose to swivel.

Anyway, I just looked up the festool mentioned - $450. Unless it gives happy endings, I can’t see paying 6x more for a sander. How much better could it possibly sand, and how so? Is it faster? Wider RO motion (which would increase vibration, I would think). What makes a festool actually worth that kind of money?

Matt
Festoon as a tool company that seems to work really hard on details and Maybe EU “OSHA” regs. My first saw and vacuum are still around and purchased in 2005. I can’t get over the quality of the cut ends of the boards I cut. When I get new tool I always check Festool first. How could 1 sander be better then another? It’s either the standard that Festool sets at each stage of product development or confirmation bias

Finally it’s near in possible to justify the cost and value because everybody is different.

Very high quality tools. I have had fiddley plastic bits break and the vacuum went down the stairs and lost some parts. No tool has stopped working and they all function at a level I don’t see out of my makita tools which I also love.
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 17:31   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:

Matt
I feel that the Festool captures and removes more dust--the closest to a dust-free experience I know; the paper lasts longer; the machine does more work with less vibration transferred to the operator, and is quieter and more ergonomic than any other sander I've used.
Others have vouched for it's longevity: mine is pretty new, so that will wait to be seen.
Old 22-05-2022, 16:07   #60

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:

Corded preferred.
Festool rotary R0150
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote