Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 07:55   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Failed throughulls?

I've never had one fail on me, but have always wondered if they typically fail in a way that can be easily plugged with the standard wooden peg (i.e., through the end)? Or do they sometimes spring from the side thru the handle bearing or even on the base ...?

Any experience?
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:06   #2

Had one fail on me. Luckily I was still in the lift slings. It would have held temporarily with a peg. Instead I put a bolt, washers and a nut on it sealed with 5200. This fix made the ride from Tortola to Hilton head without a drip from the repair. I think a peg would have come loose a few times on the trip.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 13:02   #3

Boat: Trawler
Bronze fittngs

The first sign of failure is seepage. They usually break off on the inside at the threads. Which is the thinest area of the fitting.

Wire brush the fitting and look for a rasberry color. Use a pick to see if it goes below the surface. Replace it, if so.

BTW There should be a proper sized plug within reach at each and every thuhull. The small end should be slightly smaller then the inside diameter of the fitting. Chances are that the rotten fitting will spread apart while tring to drive the plug in, usually to the backing nut.

Marlon fittings get broken by impact or over tightening. I have yet to see one actually fail.

Nylon fittings (white) should always be above the waterline and have the same problems as the Marlon except the ultravilot light will waste them. They start getting chocky and micro cracks.

Stainless fittings are for special applications and should never be used below the waterline.

Inconel is just plain too expensive.

Yours Aye!
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote