Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2021, 04:50   #46

Re: Extensive barnacles on bottom paint that's 10 months old

In high school we kept our little sailboat in the water behind our house in the Indian River here. Brackish water. Lots of silt and mud.

No bottom paint needed, just gel coat??

Results… we could feel the tiny little baby barnacles on the hull after only a few days. Cleaning it was disgusting as thousands of little bugs would come off and climb all over us.

Yep, even these little boys quickly learned to dip into our piggy banks and buy bottom paint.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 05:04   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
The vast majority of members here listen to fstbttms. Those of us who have been around tend to listen to professionals, the people who do things for a living and have done them over and over for years. They know things.

I run into the same issue in my profession as a pool cleaner. I have cleaned about 100,000 pools. I have seen all kinds of systems and situations. When I tell you what you should do about your pool, I know what I'm talking about. Don't want to hear it ? Hey, it's your pool, do what you want.
+1

Thanks for chiming in - in FastBottoms defence, Mirage.

No, FB was NOT being rude - just honest, Smacksman and sorry, Carl, if you think he was lying or inflating his numbers, as you implied.

Geez! Such cynical Members we get here sometimes.

Once you've been here a while (or perhaps log in a bit more frequently so you get to know the Members better), you'll understand that ALL of us regard FastBottom's advice very highly and appreciate that someone as busy as he is, takes the time to share his vast knowledge.

It's one of the elements that contributes to a great Forum, so please, in future, keep your disparaging remarks to yourselves.

Thank you kindly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 06:45   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

This discussion, as usual, is taking sideways and that’s fine. The reason this forum exists so well, Practical Sailor and Practical Boat Owner magazines exist is the sad fact that too many “professionals”, few in very prestigious boatyards, are either:
1. Not professional
2. Motivated by conflict of interests
3. Know the they’ll never see the transient owner again, so hit an run…

Don’t get me wrong; Most pros are indeed real pro, honest respectful to their trade and their clients, but I’m sure we all met also others somewhere along the way.
Old 18-10-2021, 02:21   #49

Boat: Miura, 31ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansan5653 View Post
Hello, I bought a daysailer (Freedom 21) back in May. The guy I bought it from said he had it hauled out and painted in December (not exactly sure what kind of paint but I'm sure it's ablative) and had the bottom cleaned by a diver in April. I believe him as he gave me the receipts.

I haven't paid much attention to the bottom since then because I knew it was painted and cleaned recently. I saw barnacles on the rudder and figured that must not have been painted along with the rest of the boat, so I planned to just take the rudder off and repaint that alone. The water isn't very clear here so I hadn't noticed anything on the bottom while she was sitting in the slip.

However, I took her out today in some breeze and had a look at the bottom as she was heeling, and it turns out there are barnacles everywhere. Not yet a full layer, but getting close.

Obviously I need to haul her out and scrape/sand/repaint, but I wasn't expecting this cost so soon. I mostly want to know why might this have happened so quickly? Could it just be that the ablative wasn't effective because the boat didn't move much? Is it possible that the diver cleaned the bottom with a scraper and destroyed the paint? Any other likely suspects I should look for?

This will be the first time I've hauled a boat and painted it, so any advice at all is appreciated. I have a small budget but I also don't mind spending more now to save money later. Thanks in advance!
Hello there. I hope this will be of assistance. Every time I haul out ( 2 years ) I Mix about two hundred and fifty grams of pure chilli powder per 5 Litre of antifoul paint. This has worked wonders for me over the years. I am convinced Barnacles don't like Chilli powder.
Sailormatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 02:24   #50

Boat: Miura, 31ft

Hello there. I hope this will be of assistance. Every time I haul out ( 2 years ) I Mix about two hundred and fifty grams of pure chilli powder per 5 Litre of antifoul paint. This has worked wonders for me over the years. I am convinced Barnacles don't like Chilli powder.
Sailormatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:09   #51

Plus it makes it fun to lick your boat’s bottom
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:16   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormatic View Post
Wow! I love this idea 🤩 in Central America chilli consumption is considered the best way to avoid flying insects/mosquitoes bites, so the logics make sense.

Other interesting additives people are using?
Old 18-10-2021, 07:23   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
No, FB was NOT being rude - just honest, Smacksman and sorry, Carl, if you think he was lying or inflating his numbers, as you implied.

Geez! Such cynical Members we get here sometimes.

Thank you kindly,
LittleWing77
Cynical perhaps, but having a diver clean your hull is not a common operation in the UK. More likely to be lifted out or as Smacksman says careened to leaned against a harbour wall. Tides work in our favour over this side of the pond.

You might search on YT for Twizzle Rig to see some more of SM's work, oh and rebuilding a gutted shell of a wooden yacht found in the mud if memory serves me well.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:25   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Wouldn't copper oxide be more effective?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 08:11   #55
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
I am convinced Barnacles don't like Chilli powder.
I hope you don't think I'm being rude or aggressive when I tell you that chili powder as an effective ingredient of anti fouling paint is a decades-old wives' tale. There is ZERO evidence that chili powder has the slightest effect on any fouling organism, barnacles included. If it did, you would be able to buy chili pepper anti fouling paint in every boatyard. If it did, you would find greatly overpriced bottles of chili powder paint additive on the shelves of every chandlery in the country (not to mention the online versions of West Marine, Defender etc. etc.) But you don't and the reason why is because it doesn't work.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 08:44   #56
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
I mostly want to know why might this have happened so quickly?

the boat sat all summer in 80 or 90 degree water. it probably had barnacles within a month or 6 weeks.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 10:57   #57

Boat: O'Day 26

Considering the Florida waters where you sail and moor boat, once you haul boat you might consider removing the ablative boat and switching to Pettit Trinidad Pro (replaced Trinidad SR). Yes, Trinidad is a hard bottom paint, but as JPA Cate mentions, an ablative bottom paint works best on a boat that is sailed
- or simply moving - often. An ablative paint is often used where owners are concerned with excessive maintenance due to a build up of bottom paint. However, if the boat is sailed infrequently, especially in Florida waters, you will experience the problem you have encountered. And if you are going to have boat bottom cleaned periodically, you are always better off using a hard bottom paint; I doubt you will find anyone disagreeing with me on this one! Yes, Pettit Trinidad is expensive, but it is probably the best bottom paint and you should not have an excessive paint build up if properly light sanded between applications.
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 11:27   #58

Boat: 1983 Freedom 21 (shoal keel)

Hello all, thanks for chiming in. The thread's gotten a bit far from my original post but I've also learned some new things so I'm enjoying it.

After searching through some of the paperwork that came with my boat, I realized what's on there is in fact hard paint (Tropikote), so my initial assumptions that it was due to bad cleaning is probably incorrect. For the most part, I think the growth is (as most people here have said) just due to the Florida climate and maybe the lack of use.

In response to some suggestions - although my boat is 'trailerable' I don't have a trailer, car with towing capabilities, or a backyard to keep it in. So that's not really an option. We have relatively mild tides (usually less than 2 ft between high and low tide) here in Tampa Bay so careening is not common here at all. My boat only draws 2 ft so it might be theoretically possible to do it on a beach, but to be honest I don't really feel comfortable with that.

I contacted the only local DIY marina and they would charge me about $500 for haulout, blocking, and storage for a minimum of 7 days, and I estimate it would cost me another $200-$300 for paint and tools. For a full-service bottom job they charge about $1200 for a boat of my size.

Given the cost of haulout, I'm going to just dive and scrape/clean it in the water this weekend. Because the boat only draws 2 ft it really shouldn't be a difficult task. I'll keep a close eye on it this time and dive to clean as needed. If the paint really does look terrible and the growth is impossible to keep up with, maybe I'll get the paint redone.

Also, I'm going to sail more often! I couldn't before because she was sitting in the slip while I fixed the soft deck, rewired, and rerigged her, but now we are ready to sail as often as I can possibly find the free time.
iansan5653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 12:33   #59

Boat: 1991 Privilege 39

I've got a Privilege 39 sailing catamaran in St. Petersburg, FL that has a couple coats of Petit's Trinidad Pro hard bottom paint on top of epoxy barrier coat. I clean the hulls every 3 weeks until the water temperature drops in the winter time and then every 4 weeks.

The local waters are extremely bio-active, and there's always some slime and barnacles. The growth rate is unaffected by the amount of time since the paint was applied (i.e. it's the same rate after a couple years as it was after the first month). There's only so much that bottom paint can do in such waters. Underwater visibility is usually only a few inches, and rarely up to a couple feet.

With this cleaning schedule, I'm scraping off tiny barnacles easily and they don't leave much (if any) of their foot plate disc behind. Waiting an extra week, the barnacles are significantly larger, and will leave the disc behind. The barnacles on the bottom paint are smaller and less numerous than on the prop shafts and props.

I usually follow up the hull scraping with brushing, using a Remora Solo to remove the slime coat. I generally spend about 3 hours in the water each time, using a hookah I put together. When red tide is bad, I switch to SCUBA with a full-face mask. Red tide really burns your eyes if you get any water in them. :-(

Trust fstbttms. He really does have the experience. You can see some of his work on his YouTube channel.
Sailing Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 14:14   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cyclops View Post
. .......I generally spend about 3 hours in the water each time, using a hookah I put together. When red tide is bad, I switch to SCUBA with a full-face mask. Red tide really burns your eyes if you get any water in them. :-(

Trust fstbttms. He really does have the experience. You can see some of his work on his YouTube channel.
How did you make the hookah?

Re Smacksman, where is he based? Obviously he has a very different fouling experience to that in Florida, or many other areas.
My observations & experience are that once barnacles get a grip on unpainted surfaces, cleaning them off, especially the "base plate" is very hard work.
barryglewis is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnacles, bottom paint, paint