Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2022, 21:07   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Extended Jabsco Toilet Seat?

I'm a big guy. 6'5". I replaced our old Jabsco toilet with a new Jabsco toilet. It's a full size model with a slightly larger seat. However, it's still not large enough for me to comfortably use. I tried buying a regular commercial extended seat but discovered that the holes for the seat bolts were not the same width. So, I can't use a regular toilet seat.

I checked the Jabsco website but could not find any other options. Does anyone know a supplier that makes larger seats? Or am I just going to have to build my own?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	255898  
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 13:08   #2

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Re: Extended Jabsco Toilet Seat?

It would make too much sense to make a marine head that isn't just a half step better than using a bucket. I'd certainly replace mine if a more usable head were to be made.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 13:21   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I'm a big guy. 6'5". I replaced our old Jabsco toilet with a new Jabsco toilet. It's a full size model with a slightly larger seat. However, it's still not large enough for me to comfortably use. I tried buying a regular commercial extended seat but discovered that the holes for the seat bolts were not the same width. So, I can't use a regular toilet seat.

I checked the Jabsco website but could not find any other options. Does anyone know a supplier that makes larger seats? Or am I just going to have to build my own?
How about an adapter plate (the plate bolts to the existing holes, and the new seat bolts to the plate). Make it out of 1/4" aluminum or fiberglass. Then you can use any seat, easy as can be. You could even sit the larger seat back a fraction, to avoid too much overhang in the front. Yes, this will mean the back is 1/4-inch higher than the front, but this is not really noticeable (been there, done that).

You will need to install the side-to-side stops under the new seat, to control side load when heeling.
Old 13-04-2022, 23:22   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

It seems that in order to get a "household" seat, one must go to one of the electric heads like a Tecma.
In a manual head it looks like the Groco K has a more normal seat size.
An adaptor might be considered, a disc of HDPE about 1/2>3/4 with a Neoprene gasket each side comes to mind.
Not to worry about a thick adaptor, at 6'5" I'll bet you could use a taller seat than the typical head has.
Old 13-04-2022, 23:32   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
It seems that in order to get a "household" seat, one must go to one of the electric heads like a Tecma.
In a manual head it looks like the Groco K has a more normal seat size.
An adaptor might be considered, a disc of HDPE about 1/2>3/4 with a Neoprene gasket each side comes to mind.
Not to worry about a thick adaptor, at 6'5" I'll bet you could use a taller seat than the typical head has.

I would not go as thick as 3/4-inch. The seat will feel sloped. Bidet attachments are about 3/8- to 1/2-inch, as a comparison point.

Tags
jabsco, oil, toilet