Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2012, 16:32   #1

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
Exhaust and Diesel Tank

I am putting in dry exhaust on a 4 cyl 54 hp LE 1 Isuzu. The exhaust pipe will be bound with insulating material (large roll, white cloth like material). It will be about 2 to 3 inches from the bottom and side of my diesel tank (painted mild steel). I have been told that diesel has a high tolerance for indirect heat but I thought I would seek out opinion here for this installation.

... thanks
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 21:16   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Exhaust and diesel tank

You would benefit from a chat and a look-see of the type of small workboat (like a 50 foot tug) that has this sort of installation.

Done properly, it's fine and you can grab loads of heat to have loads of hot water for showers, etc.

Done improperly, your boat burns if it doesn't poison you first with toxic gases.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 05:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Exhaust and diesel tank

ABYC P-1 requires that the insulated surface temperature of a dry exhaust be limited to a maximum 200 °F (93 °C), which is well below diesel fuel’s Autoignition temperature ± 410 °F (210 °C).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 08:02   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Exhaust and Diesel Tank

Gord, I'm just pointing out that achieving that noble standard has a lot to do with the experience gained by successfully doing it a few times prior.

While it's simpler in some ways, it's also significantly louder without a proper muffler.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 08:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Although I’m not a fan of dry exhausts, I’m just pointing out that the proximity of an properly insulated stack, to a diesel fuel tank (3" separation), isn’t a major fire safety issue.
Yes - good experience is good.
Bad experience, however, isn’t good.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 08:18   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

You could also install a heat shield, which allows air to pass between the shield and insulation, and less heat towards the tank.

Tags
diesel, exhaust