Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2019, 15:03   #16

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37
Re: Excessive drive belt wear

Firstly, is that supposed to be a cogged belt? It looks wrong to me. I would check that first.
Secondly, I was burning through belts at a rate of about one per 3 to 5 hours. It turned out the drive pulley was just a bit pitted, and that was enough to make the belt go up in smoke. So check the pulley surface, but if you want to sand it, do it gently. Better to replace the pulley.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 15:09   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Does anyone really think reengineering his belt drive for a serpentine belt makes sense? Yep, the auto industry made an improvement but it was during engineering stage.
Where the hell would he find crowned pulleys to fit every thing? It is not practical.
If you take the trouble to have a look at my post at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2958598 and then go to the link that I have embedded you will see that installing a serpentine belt system is not only an improvement but is very easy to implement. The kit that Electromaax supplies provides the pulleys that are needed and they are easy to fit. Other suppliers work in much the same way.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 15:21   #18

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

I have had similar results that was caused by overtensioning the belt.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 15:51   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
If you take the trouble to have a look at my post at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2958598 and then go to the link that I have embedded you will see that installing a serpentine belt system is not only an improvement but is very easy to implement. The kit that Electromaax supplies provides the pulleys that are needed and they are easy to fit. Other suppliers work in much the same way.
I went back and looked at the link. If it worked for you great. It sounded like a sales pitch on the increased efficiency. I also questioned with our alternators? I guess I'm just cynical. I hope the OP doesn't have to go to extremes.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 16:34   #20

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Cool Re: Excessive drive belt wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Is it a 12v or a 24v alternator?
What is the amperage?

Good question because 24V alternator motors spin twice as fast as 12V so it would be much more critical.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 16:39   #21

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Does anyone really think reengineering his belt drive for a serpentine belt makes sense? Yep, the auto industry made an improvement but it was during engineering stage.
Where the hell would he find crowned pulleys to fit every thing? It is not practical.

+1 (Of course)

There's a bit more to it than just replacing "V" belt pulleys with serpentine pulleys because in all probability you wouldn't get sufficient " wrap" to give traction.

If you haven't installed a larger alternator (or a different alternator) before it all looks too easy.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 16:45   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
I went back and looked at the link. If it worked for you great. It sounded like a sales pitch on the increased efficiency. I also questioned with our alternators? I guess I'm just cynical. I hope the OP doesn't have to go to extremes.
This thread is about belts. Not alternators. I did not change my alternator and therefore cannot say whether what Electromaax, or such as Balmar, write about those is reality or hype.

What is reality is that what the video shows about how easy it is to change the pulleys is not hype. The kit came with a pulley for my existing alternator as well as those for the flywheel and pump. Very well made. If you have a half reasonable tool kit you can do the job in not a lot of time.

Therefore people should not be put off going for a better solution because, as you originally indicated, doing so is an engineering problem. Whether it is a price problem is a matter for the individual.

I would add that the kit I received included a much improved belt tensioner FOC. No more trying to lever the alternator whilst trying to tighten the nut at the same time. Now one handed and a cinch to get the right tension.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 18:04   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Excessive drive belt wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Good question because 24V alternator motors spin twice as fast as 12V so it would be much more critical.

You know that they don’t don’t you? They provide twice the voltage at half the amperage, so the same wattage.
However almost all marine alternators are spun slower than optimum, if you won’t them faster you would get more power and less heat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
This thread is about belts. Not alternators. I did not change my alternator and therefore cannot say whether what Electromaax, or such as Balmar, write about those is reality or hype.

What is reality is that what the video shows about how easy it is to change the pulleys is not hype. The kit came with a pulley for my existing alternator as well as those for the flywheel and pump. Very well made. If you have a half reasonable tool kit you can do the job in not a lot of time.

Therefore people should not be put off going for a better solution because, as you originally indicated, doing so is an engineering problem. Whether it is a price problem is a matter for the individual.

I would add that the kit I received included a much improved belt tensioner FOC. No more trying to lever the alternator whilst trying to tighten the nut at the same time. Now one handed and a cinch to get the right tension.
It is always nice to hear that something works from someone using it. I was just quoting their ad as far as the alternator being "our alternator".
Old 23-08-2019, 23:40   #25

he replaced with the wrong drive belt
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 01:09   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigdaddy View Post
I agree that serpentine belts are superior in many applications, but not all. My V belt system has been doing a fine job for over 30years, and the cost to replace it with a serpentine is prohibitive. I believe that there are many others out there with similar situations.

I drive a 110 amp, 24 volt school bus alternator with twin v belts.

I would prefer serpentine, but v belts don't suck. Just need to adjust them regularly and keep them at the right tension.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 09:32   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I drive a 110 amp, 24 volt school bus alternator with twin v belts.

I would prefer serpentine, but v belts don't suck. Just need to adjust them regularly and keep them at the right tension.
People with multiple V belts need to remember to replace them in a matched set and that does not just mean putting on two new belts.
Old 24-08-2019, 10:41   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Of course.
Quote:
People with multiple V belts need to remember to replace them in a matched set and that does not just mean putting on two new belts.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 15:54   #29

https://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/
Check double banded v-belts.
They are great unless your pulleys are worn.
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote