Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2015, 09:39   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Estimated life of top quality galvanized chain?

Is there a consensus on the life of galvanized chain? Our chain, which I purchased from Ideal Windlass and believe was top quality (5/16" HT) is a rusty mess after 7 years of light use. I can imagine there are just too many variables to predict the life of chain: ventilation of chain locker, amount of use, bottom on which the chain lies, strain placed on chain in gypsy, etc.

Do any of you go to extra lengths to extend the life of your chain? Like rinsing it in fresh water at the end of the season? How often have you needed to replace your chain (and how did you use it?)

I understand that regalvanizing is probably a bad idea (weakens chain, hard to find someone to do it and never good as new.) Any other thoughts? What to do with old chain other than take it to the metal recycler? Thanks.
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 09:51   #2

Re: Estimated life of top quality galvanized chain?

7 years is probably pretty good. I don't understand the "regalvanizing" weakening theory though. The new chain was not heat treated after galvanizing, but before in the first place.
I worked in metal fabrication industry for many years when I was young. Actually drove the truck taking assemblies to the galvanizing place. Everything has to be galvanized after welding etc. I doesn't matter what ASTM heat treat level the steel had when purchased.
However, getting a good regalvanize job on chain is likely pretty problematic.I had some done years ago and there were a lot of lumps on the chain.
I think freshwater washing the chain at end of season is a good thing.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 12:07   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

top Q?

unlimited

Unless you are doing plenty of anchoring with some aggressive winch work.

But I am not sure last time I have seen top Q chain in a chandlery ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 12:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If your chain coating goes quickly, it may be a electrical grounding problem. Find the problem, but you can put a small zinc on the anchor. Commercial and navy vessels have painted chain that is sandblasted and repainted whenever the vessel is drydocked. Every five years or so. The chain lasts the life of the vessel. When the vessel is scrapped the chain is often repainted and moved to a new vessel.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 12:54   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I'm getting ready to replace my chain. Ouch $$$$! To extend the life I have changed it end for end and have cutoff the worst ends. I have had the chain almost 15 years and used in very shallow water for the most part. Still, it's time to go.

I'm giving it to another on the dock who will be able to salvage enough from the middle for a nice chain/rode line.

Of course I still need to come up with $700 USD for 200 ft of new chain. Sigh.....

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 14:41   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

7 years sounds about right. I switched ends on ours but the middle is shot now. I rinsed it in fresh water for the last couple of years before putting the boat up, it didn't help at all. Sitting in the locker in a heap for 6 months for the last couple of years did it in. Next year with new chain I'm going to hang it all up on a board across the bow sprit when the boat is sitting for a long time.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 14:55   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Hey Guy.

You may have come up with best anti-lethal boarding deterrent. Just drape anchor chain all over the boat. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 19:54   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
7 years sounds about right. I switched ends on ours but the middle is shot now. I rinsed it in fresh water for the last couple of years before putting the boat up, it didn't help at all. Sitting in the locker in a heap for 6 months for the last couple of years did it in. Next year with new chain I'm going to hang it all up on a board across the bow sprit when the boat is sitting for a long time.
You could do like we do and run it out onto a shipping pallet.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 20:13   #9

Seasonally swapping it end for end and fresh water rinse of the cone pile once a week may get you ten years. To confirm you may want to wire brush a few links and get out the micrometer to confirm all dimensions are within spec. Look for stretching and thin sections where the links connect. If it's out of spec, you need a new chain.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cafesport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 05:54   #10

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We have 5/16" BBB Acco on the primary anchor and 5/16" BBB CM on the secondary. Both are 10 years old. The Acco has been re-galvanized every third year. It spends 150 or more days per year in the water. The CM has only been re-galvanized once, but it is seldom used. I have the re-galvanizing done as soon as I see rust stains on the foredeck. At that point rust is just beginning to appear where the links rub on each other. AAA Galvanizing in Bristol, VA has done the work. I don't have enough to make their minimum weight, so I pay their minimum charge which was most recently around $125. It takes about a week from drop it off to pick it up.

Irish Eyes to the Bahamas
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 08:43   #11

I'm missing something. I treat my chain like anchor rode. I leave it piled up in the locker and every now and then throw it in the ocean. After 10 years of my tender care and 5 years of a previous owner for some of it the chain hasn't complained or changed. Maybe yours gets too much maintenance. I expect 10 more years of use from mine.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 09:35   #12

Boat: Gozzard 36

Anybody know a recommended place for regalvanizing chain on the west coast of Mexico?
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 12:25   #13
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As someone who has yet to experience this (cruising) first hand, and is now just in the info gathering stage, could someone explain to me why, other than cost, SS chain isn't used? I have watched numerous Youtube vids of ppl living the cruising lifestyle, and had noticed that a large # of chains were horrible looking. If a person was looking at a nearly million $ (when new) investment in a boat like an Amel, I can't imagine that the addl cost of going with stainless would be much more than a rounding error.

Many auto mfgs have switched to SS for exhaust systems, in fact one of my cars has one from the factory, and from living in MN (which is road salt paradise in the winter), I have to say I'm impressed with how it has stood up to the elements for over 15 years. A normal exhaust would have been replaced at least once if not twice by now, and this one is still intact. Which I guess is what has me confused about chains not being SS. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!
alha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 12:50   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

When you are buying several hundred feet of chain, the cost of stainless really adds up and stainless chain does not like living under water for the most part. Sometimes you can get a very bad case of corrosion that will eat it up quick. Where as regular G on steel corrodes in a more predictable fashion.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 12:58   #15

Primarily cost I think. SS does experience corrosion in oxygen depleted environments, but in flowing water there's plenty of oxygen. Trapped or stagnant water is another thing though.
I wouldn't hesitate to use it if cost were not an issue.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote