Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2016, 21:09   #1

Boat: Cal 34
Epoxy question...

I'm currently sanding the Interior of my Cal 34 and have a concern about the fiberglass surface. It's covered in three layers of old paint (mostly white or off-white). The surfaces are uneven and bumpy. My question is: do I need to sand the entire surface down to the bare fiberglass or can I spread epoxy over a sanded surface to "level" everything out?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
VincentLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 22:16   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: Epoxy question...

What you want to do is called "fairing," it means making smooth by filling in the valleys. It doesn't have to be epoxy. It can be Bondo, as used in auto body work. It can be epoxy with a filler that makes it easy to spread smoothly and sand to a fine smooth finish. You probably don't even really have to sand the existing paint, as long as it is in good condition and clean so your fairing can adhere. There are instructive videos and literature available. One source of information is the Gougeon Brothers' WEST System website.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 22:36   #3

Boat: Lexcen 40

You may want to check the 3 layers of paint are not enamel. Interior paint that is flakey is often enamel.

You may get adhesion problems with epoxy over both flakey paint and also epoxy over enamel.
alienzdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 23:05   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentLaRue View Post
I'm currently sanding the Interior of my Cal 34 and have a concern about the fiberglass surface. It's covered in three layers of old paint (mostly white or off-white). The surfaces are uneven and bumpy. My question is: do I need to sand the entire surface down to the bare fiberglass or can I spread epoxy over a sanded surface to "level" everything out?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Bumps doesn't matter, neither small spots of old paint as long as there's enough clean sanded surface, at least 75% to get a deasent grip for the epoxy IMO.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 01:09   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You might try using a stripper on the paint, & after that, try something like a wire brush attachment in a drill. Said attachments tend to work a bit better for cleaning & stripping uneven surfaces.
And I'd have to second the tip about avoiding bonding epoxy or fairing compounds to uneven surfaces, or old paint who's bond may be suspect.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 06:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Vincent.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy