Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2021, 15:16   #1

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32
epoxy primekote. No induction time?

So I just put the first coat of interlux primkote on hull. Went on well, rolled it. Then sanded. Went to put on next coat, and now find I didn't do it correctly. Supposed to mix the two components in primkote let sit for 20 minutes (induction time) then add thinner..Not done. I mixed all together including thinner, at the correct ratios and simply applied, seems to have dried well and I have sanded. Now see I did it wrong. I have an email in to interlux but thought I would ask the peanut gallery here if anyone has made same error and what they did.
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:12   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: epoxy primekote. No induction time?

"insufficient induction times in coatings or paints cause coating failures. For example, many epoxy coatings require a fixed time interval in order to make the epoxy resin and hardener fully compatible. When this pre-reaction time is not met, it will produce poor a film appearance and poor coating performance. Induction time will usually increase with low temperatures and/or high humidity"

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/defin...induction-time
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:06   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

I've used the stuff. I try to follow the induction time but probably have pushed it or skipped it at least once on noncritical projects.

Your choices at this point are:
* continue with what you're doing and hope for the best
* sand it all off and do it again
* treat it as a fairing coat and sand it down until, say, 50% of the substrate is showing through and then apply more epoxy primekote
* or just add another coat of primekote for good measure

I guess if it were me I would consider the cost and complexity of the additional coats yet to be applied in my decisionmaking. If I were looking at two coats of antifouling and done then I think perhaps I would just proceed with that.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:09   #4

It is the first coat to go on the hull. I put it on then epoxy filled cracks and gouges. Then sanded back till smooth. Quite a bit has actually been removed. The hull was flag blue so now it is sort of a hazy blue color. Was going to put another coat of primer on before rolling on Perfection. My instinct says it OK but was thinking maybe there would be a low adhesion issue. Not sure, it sands easily I put it on thin.
If it were just bottom paint this wouldn't even be an issue I would just roll over it.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:46   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Do a solvent test. With some strong solvent on a rag try to wipe it off. Does it soften and come off on the rag?
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:18   #6

Boat: Maine Cat 38

I have seen lack of adhesion with primekote under bottom paint. Ask which is worse; risking your Perfection coats sluffing off in a few months or sanding back your first coat of primekote.

Prior to this experience i would have thought as long as the primekote dries and is not gummy ok. Just put another primkote over the top. Now after seeing a job go wrong I would sand the primekote off and start over.

I get good results with Perfection. Any flaw in the under layers will be glaringly obvious in the sheen of the finished Perfection
Old 03-01-2021, 09:45   #7

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

Hi, squarpeg
From what you have described in your practice and curren tstate of the project, I hardly think there is a problem.
Done it both ways myself, and no problem, but trying to stick to label directions as best I can.
Forge ahead.
Cheers
~ 9.6
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:51   #8

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninedotsix View Post
Hi, squarpeg
From what you have described in your practice and curren tstate of the project, I hardly think there is a problem.
Done it both ways myself, and no problem, but trying to stick to label directions as best I can.
Forge ahead.
Cheers
~ 9.6
I agree, if what you have applied has hardened up, you’re good.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:07   #9

I received an answer on this. Good news for me. Anyone else has the issue maybe they will find this thread. Per Interlux support:

All of our epoxy primers require an induction time for the part a and b to link up. In your case if it got hard enough to dry and be sanded you’ll be fine. Even with the reducer in it. By the time you mix it, get you equipment together and actually start, time has past if you’re brushing or spraying. As your painting the pot or pan is still linking.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:16   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I've never understood the chemistry of this requirement. Why would the paint not do the same linking in a thin film (like after application) as in the pot?

I'm glad to hear from the mfg that it isn't quite as serious as it sounds!

Jim
Old 04-01-2021, 13:52   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

Jim I do not know for certain myself and have also been curious.

It has always been my assumption that it is about the presence of solvents rather than film thickness. While the mixture is a solution or suspension, Brownian motion could perhaps lead to a more complete blending of reactants. Once the solvents evaporate, Brownian motion no longer takes place. As for why they recommend allowing the induction time to elapse before the reducer is added, perhaps it has something to do with the addition of solvent reducing the concentration of reactants and therefore slowing the reaction.
Old 04-01-2021, 17:00   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I think it is just about the consistency changing. Until the consistency stabilizes it is hard to tell how much thinner to add. I have had that same primer fail on me. Failed the solvent test. I think the hardener has a shelf life. I prefer 1:1 primer. Easier to measure and no shelf life issues. Awlgrip 545.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy