Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2021, 10:39   #1

Boat: Cavalier 32
Engine rebuild kits

Hey,
Has anyone purchased an engine rebuild kit from eBay? They are a lot cheaper than purchasing the nanni parts from a dealer.
My Nanni has drunk salt water because it wasn’t installed correctly. It only has127 hours on the clock.
The company that installed it for the previous owner of the boat were the same company that did a per purchase inspection for me. The inspection was done but a different person employee to who installed it and never pick up the bad install. Healing over about 17 degrees on port tack water from the water lock box has ended up going back in to the engine.
Jimbob82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:03   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Engine rebuild kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob82 View Post
Hey,
Has anyone purchased an engine rebuild kit from eBay? They are a lot cheaper than purchasing the nanni parts from a dealer.
My Nanni has drunk salt water because it wasn’t installed correctly. It only has127 hours on the clock.
The company that installed it for the previous owner of the boat were the same company that did a per purchase inspection for me. The inspection was done but a different person employee to who installed it and never pick up the bad install. Healing over about 17 degrees on port tack water from the water lock box has ended up going back in to the engine.

An engine rebuild kit bought on eBay could well be genuine Nanni/proprietary parts. If you buy from a USA seller you would be protected by the Bureau of Consumer Protection (Australia Australian Competition and Consumer Commission)

I'd think twice about buying any kit from China as the parts would likely be inferior copies of the genuine part. (And if something goes wrong eBay won't want to know about it)

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archiv.../td-p/17667755
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:33   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob82 View Post
Hey,
AFAIK, the base engine for a Nanni is made by Kubota. Nanni simply adds the marine bits and bobs (raw water pump, heat exchanger, water cooled manifold, gearbox etc).

If you need base engine parts (rings, pistons, valves, bearings, gaskets etc), then try sourcing them from Kubota outlets. Kubota engines are used everywhere around the world in all types of machinery.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:38   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

A rebuild kit is going to be largely gaskets with a few oil seals thrown in. I've not bought one from eBay for a marine engine, but have bought several for small motorcycles. I'm inclined to be neutral on the issue of China as a source. When I'm purchasing a kit, I look carefully at the photograph to see what is included. So far, no problems, and yes, I find throughout that manufacturers overprice parts that are off the shelf from other sources.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:49   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Just had a look at eBay and there is a crowd in China supplying rebuild kits for all sorts of engines. Their Company name is Yiennparts and I can't see any poor reviews. (DYOR!!)

https://www.ebay.com.au/str/yiennpartsstore
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, rebuild