Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2019, 04:09   #16

Boat: Southcoast 36
Re: Engine Mount Hold Down Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
To be clear, in Oz, you can get hanger bolts (insert favourite name here) in a variety of materials but not in silicon bronze.

Freight from the USA was quoted at $75 USD - ouch! Probably could have found a cheaper freight option but didn't pursue it.
Yep, what Wot said.

I can find bronze lag bolts and do the cut off head and cut a thread thing but seems like a lot of mucking around. Is that what you ended up doing Wot?

Guess I could just use the lag bolt as is but to me I would have thought that the hanger bolt would be the better arrangement as every time you change out the mounts you will just make the lag bolt hole loose.

I can find plenty of 316 hanger bolts and 316 might be the go but I have seen some nasty pics of rusted out ferrous bolts in these applications but bronze seems to be the ideal robust solution.

Thanks for all the input.
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 05:32   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Engine Mount Hold Down Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
Yep, what Wot said.

I can find bronze lag bolts and do the cut off head and cut a thread thing but seems like a lot of mucking around. Is that what you ended up doing Wot?

Guess I could just use the lag bolt as is but to me I would have thought that the hanger bolt would be the better arrangement as every time you change out the mounts you will just make the lag bolt hole loose.

I can find plenty of 316 hanger bolts and 316 might be the go but I have seen some nasty pics of rusted out ferrous bolts in these applications but bronze seems to be the ideal robust solution.

Thanks for all the input.
I do think a hanger bolt is a better arrangement than a lag bolt and bronze is way better than SS. As for the effort to convert a lag bolt to a hanger bolt, well it depends on the user I guess. It didn't seem much effort to me compared with all the other boat maintenance items but YMMV.

I was ready to convert one and I already had the gear to do it BUT in the end I was speaking to part time semi retired local shipwright about another matter when I asked him casually if he had ever seen any bronze hangar bolts for sale. He said, "None for sale but I got a couple in the bottom of my tool box exactly that size. They have been there for years, here have one".
He refused any payment or other recompense! I think I used up a year or more of good luck in that single encounter!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine