Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 00:59   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Engine Identification Ford 2212 ??

HI everyone

Could someone help me to clearly identify an engine in a yacht I am potentially buying. I can´t personally inspect the engine at the moment but was advised by the broker it is a 75HP Ford model 2212E. However after many google searches I can´t find any info on this engine. Any help, advice, links, etc would be very much appreciated.

Cheers Daz
Daz1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:04   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Engine Identification Ford 2212 ??

Believe that's gonna be a Ford Lehman 2712E diesel...nice looking boat if it's the one in Queensland.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Believe that's gonna be a Ford Lehman 2712E diesel...nice looking boat if it's the one in Queensland.
Jim, you're a star! my puzzle is solved I reckon. Found some pics online of a 2712e and compared it to the pics I have...looks like a match to me. Thanks mate Indeed the boat I'm looking at is in Queensland, not sure it's the same one you are thinking about? 43ft?
Old 07-04-2016, 06:55   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Dax, they are also called Ford Dover and the earlier version was Ford Dorset. 4 Cly 4.2 litres with 85hp in naturally aspired version often used in tractors up to 200hp with huge water cooled turbo, intercooler, different pistons and strengthened con rods. Bit fragile at 200hp if not treated with respect and allowed to warm up and cool down carefully. 85hp version bullet proof.

My 200hp version would drink 35 litres per hour. 85hp version much more frugal as to be expected.

Note, some different fittings on the Dover version compared to the earlier Dorset version. Ford Dover was called 2722 and appears very similar http://www.asap-supplies.com/engine-...-engine-spares

Welcome to Lancing Marine

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:19   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz1964 View Post
Jim, you're a star! my puzzle is solved I reckon. Found some pics online of a 2712e and compared it to the pics I have...looks like a match to me. Thanks mate Indeed the boat I'm looking at is in Queensland, not sure it's the same one you are thinking about? 43ft?
Here's a picture, the engine picture on this site;

Used Roberts Mauritius for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

told me there was probably a typo. Wish you luck.

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 13:08   #6

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Our previous boat had a Lehman 2712E that looked almost identical to the picture on the boat for sale except that the coolant tank was a bit different. They do seem pretty bullet proof if you change the oil and filters regularly and keep the heat exchangers and impeller pump clean and in good order. They are very easy to work on although some parts are supposed to be harder and harder to get. I could always find what I needed when I had the boat though. Some mechanics recommend having the oil checked by a lab. You should always use a top notch coolant. The elbows can corrode out over time so you should carefully inspect that. Ours had a Borg-Warner hydraulic transmission and that was also virtually bullet proof.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 15:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Our previous boat had a Lehman 2712E that looked almost identical to the picture on the boat for sale except that the coolant tank was a bit different. They do seem pretty bullet proof if you change the oil and filters regularly and keep the heat exchangers and impeller pump clean and in good order. They are very easy to work on although some parts are supposed to be harder and harder to get. I could always find what I needed when I had the boat though. Some mechanics recommend having the oil checked by a lab. You should always use a top notch coolant. The elbows can corrode out over time so you should carefully inspect that. Ours had a Borg-Warner hydraulic transmission and that was also virtually bullet proof.
Thanks for your valuable input exMaggieDrum, this is my first yacht purchase so trying to understand as much as possible what I'm getting into. Your feedback on the engine gives me some confidence that despite it's age is should be a reliable unit. I will be getting a diesel mechanic to conduct a thorough inspection and will relay to him what you've said about oil analysis and corrosion. Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated.

Tags
engine