Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2021, 06:57   #61

Re: Encapsulated = invulnerable ??

1. Gulfstar is not know for being a well made boat. Yes there are worse but?

2. I will take an encapsulated ballast (properly done) any day over external bolt on.

I have owned 6 serious live aboard cruisers in my 55+ years of cruising and never had a problem with encapsulated keel from solid cast lead to the Concret encased steel punching of my 30 yr old KP-44. Never a problem.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:18   #62

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's pretty obvious that photos 1 & 2 are not just "hitting a rock". Those are hitting rocks and laying against them with sea action grinding away for quite some time.
Cheekako, That is incorrect. The vessel, Danika, struck the rock once and then backed off and continued to La Cruz, where I interviewed the owner and made the photographs.

John Larsen, who is a Southeast Alaska Marine Pilot for cruise ships in Alaska, struck a pinnacle rock near Punta Mita.

Thanks to Larsen, we at least now know there is a pinnacle rock that comes to within about five feet of the surface at 20° 45.843' N. Larsen puts this at approximately "80 degrees, .786 nm from the NW point north of the Punta Mita Light."

But Larsen informs us that Navionics says it's on the most recent version of their electronic charts.

Larsen's Westsail hit the rock bow on at close to seven knots, stopping her dead still, and creating the damage to the hull clearly seen in the accompanying photograph.

In the last two years I have seen 5 vessels wrecked within a few miles of here (not including Danika, which was previous to that). Three of them were full keel, encapsulated keel, cruising sailboats. Two were bolted on fin keel boats. Three of the five dragged onto rocks while anchored, two were sailed onto the shore due to poor navigation. All the full keel boats were destroyed when the fiberglass hulls were shattered, both in keel area and in the basic hull structure. Of the two fin keel boats, one's keel broke off but the other, while it had holes in the hull large enough for a person to climb through, retained it's bolt on lead keel and that vessel, the only one of the five, was salvaged and is again sailing.

Other fin keel vessels have sailed directly onto reefs or islands without loosing their keels, such as the Deerfoot Moonshadow.

It is not clear to me that there is any advantage to having an encapsulated, full keel, boat if you are going to let it drag onto a reef or sail into an island.

The best protection against shipwreck or damage is good navigation and seamanship and a vessel which can sail out of danger, not a bullet proof armor clad tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Danika Keel Damage-2015-01-21_9909_blow,lect.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	236250  
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2021, 09:14   #63

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Cheekako, That is incorrect. The vessel, Danika, struck the rock once and then backed off and continued to La Cruz, where I interviewed the owner and made the photographs.

John Larsen, who is a Southeast Alaska Marine Pilot for cruise ships in Alaska, struck a pinnacle rock near Punta Mita.

Thanks to Larsen, we at least now know there is a pinnacle rock that comes to within about five feet of the surface at 20° 45.843' N. Larsen puts this at approximately "80 degrees, .786 nm from the NW point north of the Punta Mita Light."

But Larsen informs us that Navionics says it's on the most recent version of their electronic charts.

Larsen's Westsail hit the rock bow on at close to seven knots, stopping her dead still, and creating the damage to the hull clearly seen in the accompanying photograph.

In the last two years I have seen 5 vessels wrecked within a few miles of here (not including Danika, which was previous to that). Three of them were full keel, encapsulated keel, cruising sailboats. Two were bolted on fin keel boats. Three of the five dragged onto rocks while anchored, two were sailed onto the shore due to poor navigation. All the full keel boats were destroyed when the fiberglass hulls were shattered, both in keel area and in the basic hull structure. Of the two fin keel boats, one's keel broke off but the other, while it had holes in the hull large enough for a person to climb through, retained it's bolt on lead keel and that vessel, the only one of the five, was salvaged and is again sailing.

Other fin keel vessels have sailed directly onto reefs or islands without loosing their keels, such as the Deerfoot Moonshadow.

It is not clear to me that there is any advantage to having an encapsulated, full keel, boat if you are going to let it drag onto a reef or sail into an island.

The best protection against shipwreck or damage is good navigation and seamanship and a vessel which can sail out of danger, not a bullet proof armor clad tank.
Maybe thinking you are invincible is one of the dangers. Sort of how large suvs and pickups account for a proportionally larger number of auto accidents in bad weather.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:09   #64

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

As others pointed to, this is not a truly encapsulated keel, rather a loose ballast inside a hollow keel. When I built my 38' cutter, some 34 years ago (still going strong), every layer of lead ingots inside the keel were incorporated in an epoxy resin cast. The whole is a monolith. No way such a damage could determine water ingress, just cosmetic damage. (Don't ask why I know.)
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 16:18   #65

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
They are all important. Having the ability to sail out of danger does not preclude a sailboat from being strongly built regardless of keel type.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 14:57   #66

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

""Maybe thinking you are invincible is one of the dangers. Sort of how large suvs and pickups account for a proportionally larger number of auto accidents in bad weather.""
Attitude must play a part .Hard to find front end parts for Volvo in the wrecking yards They all suffer head ons. Remember back in the '70 s A Taiwan special gets its keel damage ground off to fix the scuff and the sand runs out.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 17:41   #67

Boat: Cavalier 32

On a bolt on/fin keeled yacht the cable would have undoubtedly dragged the rudder/skeg off (and sunk), destroyed the prop shaft and cutlass bearing (and sunk) or dragged the keel off (and sunk)

This is a sweeping assertion which is not supported by reality; if it were, such boats would litter the floor of every harbour and they would not be insurable. Perhaps it might be a possible outcome with some very lightly built racers, or maybe even on some under-engineered cruisers, but I can assure you it wouldn't be at all likely to happen with the majority of bolt on/fin keel yachts.

You have to admit that this flaw in design and/or build of the boat that all but sank was a major one, I would be very alarmed if I had a boat like it. I bet something had to be done about it before any insurance company would touch it again.
Nyanza Cav32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 18:34   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post

On a bolt on/fin keeled yacht the cable would have undoubtedly dragged the rudder/skeg off (and sunk), destroyed the prop shaft and cutlass bearing (and sunk) or dragged the keel off (and sunk)
This is an incorrect assertion.

For example, check out post #26 (the last photo). A similar occurrence except the striking object was a steel structure, not a chain. You can hardly see the damage on back edge of the keel. The rudder, strut propeller and keel are all intact. If what you assert was remotely true there would be some visible damage, and there is none, let alone a sunken boat.
Old 13-04-2021, 18:41   #69

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Note to self: don’t let Cheechako navigate! [emoji16]
Note to self: he's no worse than me.
Old 13-04-2021, 20:11   #70

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
As noted above, this is a sweeping assertion based only on ignorance and assumption, and I might add, arrogant stupidity.

WOW!! What a reaction!!!

Serenpidity 43

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...-vs-full-keels
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 22:15   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I guess I should add, "sheep". Like, don't think for yourself, don't address the facts of your dumb assertion, just follow another opinionated writer who tries to prove his point with scary stories.

"Oh golly Timmy, do we have to walk past the graveyard at night? The fin keel might rise up and get us!"
Old 13-04-2021, 22:59   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I guess I should add, "sheep". Like, don't think for yourself, don't address the facts of your dumb assertion, just follow another opinionated writer who tries to prove his point with scary stories.
Quite, I don't know who wrote that article or why, but I will give it a very good and stiff ignoring, then carry on sailing with not one but two fin keels
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 23:29   #73

Quote:

"Oh golly Timmy, do we have to walk past the graveyard at night? The fin keel might rise up and get us!"

I have no intention of trading discourtesies on this forum as I have respect for others. If you want to insult others why don't you PM them? (Obviously I have hit a raw nerve)
Old 14-04-2021, 03:51   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Quite, I don't know who wrote that article or why, but I will give it a very good and stiff ignoring, then carry on sailing with not one but two fin keels
So the second one is a spare? That's thinking outside the square! (I like it))
Old 14-04-2021, 04:04   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Encapsulated = invulnerable ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I don't know, I found it quite interesting.. it was not a condemnation of fin keels, more an explanation of how they work, the pressures and design parameters.. and what can happen when skimpy design and poor maintaince combine eg Cheeky Rafiki.
Not forgetting the Brit solo RTW competitor Tony Bullimore who had to survive for around 4 days in his upturned hull when his keel fell off in the Southern Ocean.. luckily he was found.

Edited after looking up his name.
These were two separate types of failure, CR was the keel ripping out the hull, TB was a clean sheer, luckily the keel stubs stayed in place allowing air to be trapped inside preventing him sinking.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc