Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 22:08   #1

Boat: Admiral 38' Sailing Cat
Emergency Tiller for Admiral 38 Sailing Cat

Hi All,

I've looked around for an Admiral user group and have not found anything so I've come here in the hopes that there is someone out there who knows how set up an emergency tiller on my Admiral 38 2002. The boat is not set up for it currently so this is a custom solution. Current idea is to attach to the the link between the two rudders on the starboard side but this would mean the tiller would be in the aft starboard cabin, not ideal. I'm thinking we could have some lines with blocks set up so that we can control the tiller from the cockpit, but this means putting holes in the cockpit to run lines into the cabin... We have an autopilot mounted on the linkage just above the starboard rudder post. Although we could use the autopilot in an emergency, my goal is to have an emergency tiller in case both the helm and autopilot are not operational.
sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 06:39   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Emergency Tiller for Admiral 38 Sailing Cat

I looked at several adverts for Admiral 38's and they all list an emergency tiller as on-board equipment. So it looks like they were set up for one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 19:23   #3

Boat: Admiral 38' Sailing Cat
Re: Emergency Tiller for Admiral 38 Sailing Cat

Hi Mark,

Sorry I missed your reply somehow. Thanks for the effort, that's good to know. I don't have any emergancy tiller equipment onboard, and I don't know where one would fit it. I did find out that the top of the rudder post is asymetrical so I could make something that fits on top of the rudder and go from there. I would have to cut access holes in the deck though to make this work. Can you please send any of the adverrts so I can followup and see if I can get a picture of the origional equipment?

Cheers,
Carl
sherm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, sail, sailing