Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 20:47   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Electrolysis

This is my second week with this vessel. The prior owner was in poor health for some time and passed away. The boat sat at a dock for a few years with zero maintenance. There is evidence of flooding to just below the floorboards as the waterline stain shows it squatted at some point recently. There was no corrosion on the engine pan but the sump is large and deep and could easily hold 2000 lbs of water. The attached pictures show where the leak occurred. It was a miracle that the boat did not sink.
You will see the green stud. It was bronze that went through the hull for the rectangular zinc plate. Both were rotted off flush with the outside hull and the only thing holding the studs in the hole was the fuzzy oxidization.
The other two pictures were way scarier. It was the galley sink thru-hull under the waterline. It also had a green stain indicating a leak and someone in their infinite wisdom used underwater epoxy on it. When I grabbed the valve in my hand, it snapped off. I could not of used a pound of force.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 036.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	29478   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 037.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	29479  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 038.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	29480  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 21:22   #2

Re: Electrolysis

Stuff like this scares the hell out of me.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:48   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

How did this pass survey, if you've only had her for a few weeks? Just curious...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:12   #4

A survey was done last year. This was obviously going on for much longer than that. I bought the vessel for a fraction of what these boats sell for, so my concern is not so high. When ever I purchase a boat, I go through everything such as thru-hulls, valves, hoses, electrical and so on. As long as the hull is sound, built at a good manufacturer, it's a go for me.
My friend and myself were joking about it. We figured the surveyor was probably a really large guy that couldn't get in tight places and wore really thick glasses.
I'll add that when the zinc attachment failed, there was even electrolysis on the bottom paint!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-07-2011, 11:41   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. A boat sitting at the dock for ages is a ticking bomb. Touch nothing, lift, dry, replace anything that CAN break. Start with the seacocks ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

oxidation is different than electrolysis. green is oxidation. looks like the problem has been of many years duration-- not has been repaired, in someones mind once anyway already.
people forget that survey is for bank loans and insurance of boat comprehensive insurance. it isnt for all that is wrong with boat. many things will not be "found" on survey.
first thing always to do to and with a boat is inspect the THRU HULL FITTINGS -- seacocks are not as important. the thru hull fittings will sink yer boat NOW the seacocks MIGHT sink your boat soon.
this could have been found by prospective owner prior to purchase with a digital camera taking pix of where the eye cannot see.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 16:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
oxidation is different than electrolysis. green is oxidation. looks like the problem has been of many years duration-- not has been repaired, in someones mind once anyway already.
people forget that survey is for bank loans and insurance of boat comprehensive insurance. it isnt for all that is wrong with boat. many things will not be "found" on survey.
first thing always to do to and with a boat is inspect the THRU HULL FITTINGS -- seacocks are not as important. the thru hull fittings will sink yer boat NOW the seacocks MIGHT sink your boat soon.
this could have been found by prospective owner prior to purchase with a digital camera taking pix of where the eye cannot see.
I don't believe I stated the green (cupric oxide) was electolysis. In fact, I called it fuzzy oxidization Just stating that the green stain indicated water entering the boat.
Old 10-07-2011, 16:55   #8

thye fact of their being green doesnt mean water was here--- bronze oxidizes in moist air-- you will find your thru hulls take on patina at about 2-3 yrs of age. the patina means nothing. the thick oxidation and loss of metal does mean a lot. means the fitting should have been addressed about 5+ yrs ago. the goop at the base of the fitting is sign of water intrusion -- and an attempt, poor one, to repair that. that looks like an original thru hull, no matter the age of boat. looks like my 1979 fitting did in 2004. salt water intrusion on bronze doesnt look green. i know--i have that in my formosa.
and you DID title the thread/post as electrolysis.......
Old 10-07-2011, 16:59   #9

Well Zee...I guess ya had to of been there. It was meant to be an informative post. You want to critique the stains...go ahead.
Old 10-07-2011, 17:06   #10

i HAVE had exactly that looking thru hull--- have you????
mine came from an allegedly well kept snot club boat, an ericson 35--and i replaced it within the first 2 weeks of ownership in the water by competent divers.
showed me exactly how well maintained snot club boats are kept.

Tags
electrolysis