Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 08:46   #1

Ecopoxy? Anybody know about it

Came across ecopoxy and wondering if anyone had tried the stuff. Says it has uv blockers , won't yellow, sustainable and green. Didn't look too hard at it thought I'd see if anyone has tried the stuff
IslandHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 23:06   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Ecopoxy? Anybody know about it

While I've not used it particularly, there are some standards that apply that should cross over for any epoxy, regardless of the origin of its' base chemistry.

If I understand correctly, UV inhibitors are mixed into the resin, and are not part of the epoxy 'molecule'. Hence the epoxy 'between' the inhibitors is still subject to deterioration, and results in the eventual breakdown of the coating.

It may very well be that the ecopoxy is clearer, and doesn't yellow. It may even be that it is inherently UV resistant; advances in chemistry, and science in general, happen all the time. I remain skeptical of its UV resistance, probably equally because of inertia and the un-notoriety of the product...

As to the 'greenness', a cursory glance at their website and some basic logical thinking throws up some red flags.

They are in business to make an industrial chemical in commercial quantities. To label a product 'green' or 'sustainable' requires 'cradle to grave' considerations. An extra step (likely several extra steps) to get the 'bio' materials into a state similar to the raw material for most conventionally sourced epoxies, petroleum, has costs. Are they truly accounted for, or is the source for these alternative materials subsidized by
hidden (or not-so-hidden) entities?

The pictures of bean fields and other (green) 'plant parts' liberally spread through their site is, I suppose, intended to foster a sense of responsible stewardship of the earth for the products consumers. For me it has the opposite affect, in that, in a sorta sideways manner, it encourages consumption by assuaging the consciences of said consumers. Kind of a reverse or modified Jevon's Paradox...

Certainly I may be wrong and Ecopoxy will become the West of the 2020's...if the efficiency is there the 'market' will take care of the rest (said only slightly tongue-in-cheekily)...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:23   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Ecopoxy? Anybody know about it

Probably it is bio-degradable too, so if the ship is abandoned for a while it will be happily digested / dissolved by the barnacles.

Love these green power.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote